Please help me understand how the UV-9GX scanning works

WRVE426

After a four months wait, I finally got my Wouxun UV-9GX from bettersaferadio.com and I mostly like it.

I do hate the very low luminosity of the screen (especially when compared to my Wouxun KG-935G!) whose max luminosity (set at 5) truly *sucks*.  I sure hope that future firmware updates will provide a semi-usable screen...

But I can live with a dark screen.  What I don't understand is how the Wouxun UV-9GX scans.  I read that on the display's top row ALL the channels are scanned whereas on the bottom display row only VHF/UHF channels are scanned (though I don't understand why channels 15 through 22 are not scannable unless I change that manually).

What baffles me is how the top display row scans.  Instead of scanning all channels from 1 to 999 it seems to only scan 500 through 700. 

Why is that?

Can I make it scan all 999 channels?

Finally, since I have no Windows or Apple computer (I only run GNU/Linux), can I use CHIRP with the Wouxun UV-9GX?

Thank you!

6 hours ago, WRVE426 said:

But I can live with a dark screen.  What I don't understand is how the Wouxun UV-9GX scans.  I read that on the display's top row ALL the channels are scanned whereas on the bottom display row only VHF/UHF channels are scanned (though I don't understand why channels 15 through 22 are not scannable unless I change that manually).

If the radio has 23-30 set as repeater channels AND it is scanning those, then they duplicate 15-22 (the repeater output is the same as 15-22 simplex).