General GMRS question

Guest The Darkness

After 15 minutes of use and at least once every 15 minutes thereafter during a series of transmissions lasting more than 15 minutes.

Many repeaters will transmit the ID without tones so if you listen with the receive tones set you won’t hear the ID. Which is nice because it doesn’t interfere with your talking. 

44 minutes ago, WRUU653 said:

After 15 minutes of use and at least once every 15 minutes thereafter during a series of transmissions lasting more than 15 minutes.

Many repeaters will transmit the ID without tones so if you listen with the receive tones set you won’t hear the ID. Which is nice because it doesn’t interfere with your talking. 

Makes sense, I will try that! Thanks for filling me in.

1 minute ago, Templeton said:

Makes sense, I will try that! Thanks for filling me in.

The advantage of not setting receive tones is you’ll hear other transmissions regardless if they are through the repeater or simplex. This can help avoiding stepping on someone else’s transmission. You can always use the monitor button to make sure the channel is clear also. Just some thoughts and options.

20 minutes ago, WRUU653 said:

The advantage of not setting receive tones is you’ll hear other transmissions regardless if they are through the repeater or simplex. This can help avoiding stepping on someone else’s transmission. You can always use the monitor button to make sure the channel is clear also. Just some thoughts and options.

Yeah, so far, I have left receive tones off so I can hear what else is happening on the freq.  It is not hard for me to wait until the other transmissions are over, I was just more curious what the burst of beeps was.

• 2 months later...
Guest Dmouse
On 4/16/2023 at 9:19 PM, Guest Talljeffd said:

Really enjoyed reading that back and forth. Just got my GMRS license. Navigating the fcc website was a hoot. I had always been sort of interested in ham, but the process was off-putting. I "discovered" GMRS while looking into ham. I am looking forward to the relaxed nature of GMRS. I am prior military, so I will throw the occasional phonetic out there, but the fact that it is not necessary is nice. When I was in the military I/we liked to respond to radio checks with whiskey whiskey tango tango golf bravo-wall to wall and treetop tall good buddy. Maybe that will catch on.

And, I laughed out loud when I saw "uma uma". 

TO say the FCC site is a "hoot" is an understatement!