Buying a Kenwood TK880 used - Need it programmed

JoCoBrian

Question

10 answers to this question

I do not have v1 and I don't have v1 manual. I remember reading somewhere that some LTR features are different between v1 and v2. As I understand, for GMRS use they are identical. I also thought that v1, as opposed to v2, does not require removal of the resistor for front panel programming, but I could be wrong here.

OK I got the software and the cable and programmed the TK-880 today and it's working.  Now I have some questions.

When I wrote the setup to the radio I got this warning "The target radio is NOT a Version 2.0 radio. The new version 2.0 radio features entered will NOT work in this earlier production radio. 

Anyone know what the features diffs between a TK-880 and a TK-880 V2 are?  All I programmed was a priority group (channel), all the FRS frequencies, four repeaters with TX/RX codes....it all seems to be working.  

I have the manual for a 780/880/980 and will continue reading it. This TK-880 is the 25w model.  

BTW the front panel programming requires the removal of a SMT resistor off the front board....I decided not to do that.  Eyes ain't what they used to be. 

Mine is not a Version 2, I assume it is a Version 1.   It can not be front panel programmed, so I assume the resistor has to be removed for that feature.  What's LTR?  It's also my understanding this radio doesn't do trunking, only conventional.  Seems to be working fine.  No idea what the age is, is there a way to tell from the serial number? 

24 minutes ago, JoCoBrian said:

Mine is not a Version 2, I assume it is a Version 1.   It can not be front panel programmed, so I assume the resistor has to be removed for that feature.  What's LTR?  It's also my understanding this radio doesn't do trunking, only conventional.  Seems to be working fine.  No idea what the age is, is there a way to tell from the serial number? 

LTR is a trunking standard, not used for GMRS.

Front panel programming: Menu -> Optional Features -> Optional Features 2 -> Self Programming
I heard (never had a chance to confirm myself) that v1 only requires this checkbox checked and no HW modifications. v2 indeed requires resistor removal.

Well on mine, it doesn't support trunking, so LTR is moot I guess.  By holding down the D button and powering on, I do not get the Menu screen.  So I assumed it needed a resistor removed.  I get this message when I write to the radio from the programming software.  As far as I know I haven't entered any thing that's a new Version 2 feature. 

image.png.e7d93ba557b7dc5a7b7bf86627d0e8a7.png