Question

On 5/21/2023 at 6:20 PM, WRTG618 said:

When did the coast guard and other boats start using frs/gmrs frequencies? I'm hearing the coast guard and boats talking on 462.71250. Why is that? 

It never dawned on me the coast guard personnel. would be using FRS / GMRS. I know a few years ago. UNIDEN had a handheld that was FRS/GMRS and MARINE VHF. Of course, I guess they discontinued for reasons unknown to me. I assume those radios were being used on land rather than on water, especially on the VHF MARINE band.  If the FCC would approve VHF MARINE with 5 extra channels, would be MURS. I'm sure it would be a good tool, especially when you sailing close to the shore or in the bay, VHF MURS would be good to have for family members that stay a shore.

Of course, MURS is limited to 2 watts ERP.  But those 2 watts from VHF transceiver can do better than UHF near water

On 5/21/2023 at 3:20 PM, WRTG618 said:

When did the coast guard and other boats start using frs/gmrs frequencies? I'm hearing the coast guard and boats talking on 462.71250. Why is that? 

I don't ever hear the coast guard on gmrs/frs or boats for that matter but I don't see why not other than it's one more thing to monitor. Boats are required to monitor channel 16. I do hear them on marine channels all the time where I am. I'm on the west coast. I listen in on these frequencies here...

image.jpeg.0227b6b8ca7cf2174c4c4f2ca6924a85.jpeg

On 5/26/2023 at 8:56 PM, Adamdaj said:

It never dawned on me the coast guard personnel. would be using FRS / GMRS. I know a few years ago. UNIDEN had a handheld that was FRS/GMRS and MARINE VHF. Of course, I guess they discontinued for reasons unknown to me. I assume those radios were being used on land rather than on water, especially on the VHF MARINE band.  If the FCC would approve VHF MARINE with 5 extra channels, would be MURS. I'm sure it would be a good tool, especially when you sailing close to the shore or in the bay, VHF MURS would be good to have for family members that stay a shore.

Of course, MURS is limited to 2 watts ERP.  But those 2 watts from VHF transceiver can do better than UHF near water

I assume that some members who have posted comments on this topic, probably asking what I posted. It seems that I strayed off topic and not really making sense.  Forgive me for straying off topic, because I thought that I had something to contribute. Obviously, I didn't. 

1 hour ago, Adamdaj said:

I assume that some members who have posted comments on this topic, probably asking what I posted. It seems that I strayed off topic and not really making sense.  Forgive me for straying off topic, because I thought that I had something to contribute. Obviously, I didn't. 

I also thought you had something to add, doesn’t appear OP ever jumped back in. That’s okay too. Not all threads turn into spirited conversations.