New to GMRS - repeater question

WRXJ947

Question

I posted earlier on General, but this may be a better place.  I got repeater permissions but the owner also sent thos information:

Dpl/Dcs 662 Tx/Rx 

I  am unsure if I need to enter his into my GMRE Pro phone app, or where I should enter it.  Can anyone help?

Thanks,  WRXJ947

5 answers to this question

38 minutes ago, WRXJ947 said:

I posted earlier on General, but this may be a better place.  I got repeater permissions but the owner also sent thos information:

Dpl/Dcs 662 Tx/Rx 

I  am unsure if I need to enter his into my GMRE Pro phone app, or where I should enter it.  Can anyone help?

Thanks,  WRXJ947

You’ll need to program your radio with the transmit tone. Without the TX tone the repeater will ignore your transmission. Usually it’s just a setting for each channel.

Your manual should show you where. Look under “privacy tones” or CTCSS. It’ll be in that section. 
FYI “privacy tones” don’t protect you from eavesdropping. 

1 hour ago, WRXJ947 said:

Dpl/Dcs 662 Tx/Rx 

Thanks,  WRXJ947

In general terms: "Tones" are used to help the squelch to be more selective in what is put through to the speaker (ultimately your ear).

Companies like to call them "privacy tones" but as @Sshannon mentioned those tones do NOT disallow others to listen!

Repeaters asked for a tone to be transmitted to avoid accidental retransmission of transmissions not intended for the repeater and of "statics or interferences" . (on your end TX - the tone you transmit).

Without tone, the repeater would listen to all transmission on its frequency and retransmit those / with the tone, you help the repeater recognize your transmission as intended for the repeater.

Some repeaters also transmit a tone so that listeners on that frequency have the benefit of only hearing the repeater and not the kids down the road who use the same frequency... (on your end called RX - the tone your receiver listens for)

Remember - the tone is influencing the squelch deciding what to forward to the speaker -> what you hear :)

If you are using a BTECH BT app, you will find CTCSS and DCS settings in each channel.

The different tones have been discussed in (just a picture - not a link)

image.png.ba08a267f626813eafb390792c2026dd.png

When it comes to repeaters (and privacy tones for that matter) I often equate tones to keys and locks. A TX tone on your radio is a key that can unlock the repeater (or radio with privacy tone) so you can transmit through it (or to it). The RX on your radio is the lock that prevents you hearing everything but what gets unlocked by the tone coming in from the repeater (or radio with proper tone). That’s why with no RX tone set on your settings you hear everything on the channel. As mentioned CTCSS and DCS are the tones.