HTs and mobiles with full control of memory slots within the bounds of Part 95

WRXN668

Question

So I have these Tidradio TD-H5 radios.  They're OK when there's only one party or group on simplex, but if there are multiple groups or repeaters then they aren't so great.  As seems common in this generic-frame-locked-for-GMRS model, the manufacturer seems to have defined channels by simply configuring memory slots for the 22, then defined eight memory slots for the standard repeaters/shift with no tone, then defined three sets of eight for those same standard repeaters/shift with the ability to configure tone.  The problem is that in order to preconfigure the use of tones for simplex for selective calling I would have to overwrite the memory slot for the stock/toneless channel I'm configuring, because the three sets of eight memory slots I referred to have frequency-shift baked in where I cannot change them.  While I have the ability to go into the menu for a given memory slot 1-22 for channel 1-22 to change tx and rx tone, I do not expect that a young or old family member will readily be able to do this.  Meaning if we're convoying and not using tone, but find that channel use is heavy enough that we need to switch so tone squelch avoids us having to listen to other groups, I can't just tell the rest of the group to switch from Channel-X to DIY-X using the up/down keys.

What ideally I'd like are mobile and HTs that can be programmed for both selective calling on simplex (ie CTCSS and/or DCS tone/tone-squelch) and busy channel lockout, without having to overwrite the default 22 channel memory slots.  I would like the keep memory slots for channels 1-22 without any other programming intact, plus be able to save frequencies for channels 1-22 in higher-number slots with tone and busy-lockout without having to have repeater shift enabled.

Any suggestions for radios that can do this would be appreciated.  Unfortunately my e-mails to Tidradio to seek assistance with this have gone unanswered, I expect to be returning the TD-H5s shortly while I still can.

4 hours ago, Lscott said:

IMHO that's driven by money. The cost of P25 radios is crazy. Looking at the used market I can buy a used digital commercial radio for just about any voice mode, except for P25, for less. 

Example, Kenwood's new HT's, the NX-5000 series, comes with NXDN as standard. It can be configured to do DMR and P25 by simply writing a license key to the radio to enable the feature. The attached image is from their 2022 catalog. The cost for just P25 Phase 1 conventional is staggering compared to DMR. Then if you want to add trunking for P25 you'll need some deep pockets and a fat checkbook.

Because of the costs if P25 is not mandated by the state, or some other agency, people are opting for either DMR or NXDN. They are the lower cost options.

To gauge who uses what mode a search of the following database returns some interesting results. The primary users of P25 seems to be various Federal, state, county and city governments.

https://digitalfrequencysearch.com/index.php

License Costs.jpg

I've worked a career in the public sector.  Without even seeing their purchase orders I can guarantee you that no public sector entity is paying list price.  They're getting significant volume discounts if they're a large enough entity to make volume purchases, or they're buying on a cooperative contract with other smaller public-sector entities and are still getting a discount.  And that's before considering what sort of grants may be available to them in the name of life-safety interoperability.

These list prices are to prevent your average schmuck from buying those licenses.  It's a form of security through obscurity since most hobbyists cannot justify such inflated prices.

On 6/22/2023 at 12:38 PM, WRXN668 said:

I suspect that a fair number of licensed GMRS operators would actually be happier as hams.

I think you're right on that one. I got GMRS to be legal when I installed a Midland 15w mobile in my Jeep. I quickly realized the limitations of that setup. I started playing around with a Baofeng, which was a trash radio, but it opened my eyes as to what else was out there. I got my Tech ticket and grabbed a Wouxun UV9PX, intending to mostly scan/listen but then it became apparent that digital radio is where most of the action is (or at least it seems that way to me). Now I have an AnyTone 878 HT and a 578 mobile. I'm still barely getting my feet wet with the ham stuff but it's pretty neat. Doubtful that I will ever get a general or extra class license, as I just don't see myself trying to bounce HF around the world just for the sake of it but for where I am currently at with the hobby, I am glad I got my technician class license. Obviously, most people are put off by having to take a test to get the license, which is too bad. There are so many 2m and 70cm repeaters out there. I've been listening to DMR through a local repeater and there is actually a lot of chatter on the local talkgroups. I rarely hear anything on the local GMRS repeater I can get into or when I am scanning while traveling.

1 hour ago, WRXE944 said:

Except when they are on 2 Meters.

"Mostly" is only good if it is in your neighborhood.

There are a few digital voice repeaters on 2M, but nowhere near the number on 70cm. You can discover that easy enough by simply doing a search for one or more digital voice modes on "repeaterbook.com". There is far more spectrum on UHF for various modes that is in short supply on VHF. I also started a thread on this forum some time back on the same issue. The general consensus was UHF is where most of the digital voice mode activity is found.

24 minutes ago, Lscott said:

There are a few digital voice repeaters on 2M, but nowhere near the number on 70cm. You can discover that easy enough by simply doing a search for one or more digital voice modes on "repeaterbook.com". There is far more spectrum on UHF for various modes that is in short supply on VHF. I also started a thread on this forum some time back on the same issue. The general consensus was UHF is where most of the digital voice mode activity is found.

This is exactly right.