n4gix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQWU626
  • Ham Callsign:N4GIX

Posted 20 February 2016 - 09:00 PM

Having grown tired of fumbling around with my attempts to homebrew my own repeater, I've just ordered a shiny new Bridgecom BCR-40U (400-470 MHz) UHF Repeater, complete with a properly tuned duplexer and the programming kit. It should be here within a week or less.

I had my handy man out today taking advantage of the warmer weather and low winds to do some maintenance on my roof mounted antennas. One dual-band antenna's top section was lost several years ago (the VHF part), so I had him swap the coax over to another dual band that I'd put up some years ago as a backup.

Hopefully all I'll need for the spring is to buy some 1/4" Superflex heliax and a better antenna for the repeater.

I also made contact with another ham in the area who's kindly offered to (re)tune my existing duplexer.

• Logan5 and 6040 like this

#22 6040

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQVY669
  • Ham Callsign:KC9ZSU

Posted 21 February 2016 - 11:14 AM

Hi Bill, congrats on your new repeater! just wondering, having talked to you a few times on the 600, I know you just started into the digital world. will your new repeater also be digital compatible?

#23 Logan5

Logan5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 726 posts
  • LocationFort Lauderdale Florida
  • GMRS Callsign:WQQT630
  • Ham Callsign:KK4PRC

Posted 21 February 2016 - 12:01 PM

the BCR40 is not digital and digital is not legal on part95

#24 n4gix

n4gix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 05:42 PM

Hi Bill, congrats on your new repeater! just wondering, having talked to you a few times on the 600, I know you just started into the digital world. will your new repeater also be digital compatible?

No, this one is strictly analog. The only bands I'm licensed for is in the amateur bands where digital would be legal are already well covered by existing repeaters in Gary, Crown Point, Valparaiso, La Porte, and Chicago. The analog mode is oversaturated with 2m and 70cm repeaters, that are going largely unused.

This is why I decided to try setting up a GMRS repeater as a place to experiment and have a bit of fun. If it doesn't work out well, I'm sure it could be used for something else. :D

• Logan5 likes this

#25 n4gix

n4gix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 25 February 2016 - 04:45 PM

Yesterday I ordered a shiny new spectrum analyzer with tracking generator. It sure is a lot nicer than my old "Cushman Service Monitor" from the old GESS I used to own! Now I'll be able to tune things properly again. No more 'Armstrong Method' more miss than hit. :lol:

Rigol DSA815-TG Tracking Generator Spectrum Analyzer

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361461963474

DSA815-TG-3.jpg

• Logan5 likes this

#26 Logan5

Logan5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 726 posts
  • LocationFort Lauderdale Florida
  • GMRS Callsign:WQQT630