Baofeng UV-5g

WRZC486

I purchased a Baofeng UV-5g for GMRS and FRS use. I was told that it will communicate fine with other FRS radios. The organization that I work with uses FRS channel 7.11 (privacy). I can program my Baofeng to FRS channel 7 (462.71250) but cant find how to get to the privacy offset (side channell?) 11. 

Hope my terminology is still on point, its been awhile. I was HAM Tech licensed back in the '90's (KD4KWZ), expired. Funny how you never forget your call sign. 

Any help here would be appreciated. 

Thanks,

Nathan

Sounds like the FRS radios don't use the standard CTCSS tone numbering format such as 67.0Hz. You have the right frequency for channel 7, the 11 part of the 7.11 might be tone 94.8 (Hz). If it isn't try to search for the privacy tone chart for the brand of FRS radio they are using. If someone has a radio that will scan for CTCSS or DCS codes you can use that to find the correct tone. Good luck.

19 minutes ago, WRZC486 said:

I purchased a Baofeng UV-5g for GMRS and FRS use. I was told that it will communicate fine with other FRS radios. The organization that I work with uses FRS channel 7.11 (privacy). I can program my Baofeng to FRS channel 7 (462.71250) but cant find how to get to the privacy offset (side channell?) 11. 

Hope my terminology is still on point, its been awhile. I was HAM Tech licensed back in the '90's (KD4KWZ), expired. Funny how you never forget your call sign. 

Any help here would be appreciated. 

Thanks,

Nathan

The problem is that many (most?) of the inexpensive radios have a few extra CTCSS codes.  That’s true for both FRS and GMRS. That upsets the numbering.  What brand of radios do they use?

It sounds like you’re using simplex anyway and the UV5R does have the ability to scan for CTCSS so just do that.

In the meantime leave the tone out on the receive side and you’ll still hear your colleagues.

5 minutes ago, WRHS218 said:

Sounds like the FRS radios don't use the standard CTCSS tone numbering format such as 67.0Hz. You have the right frequency for channel 7, the 11 part of the 7.11 might be tone 94.8 (Hz). If it isn't try to search for the privacy tone chart for the brand of FRS radio they are using. If someone has a radio that will scan for CTCSS or DCS codes you can use that to find the correct tone. Good luck.

Tone is 97.4 for 11.  How to set the radio up for this is my issue. I have been unable to locate any information. I'm new to GMRS and this Baofeng radio. 

4 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

The problem is that many (most?) of the inexpensive radios have a few extra CTCSS codes.  That’s true for both FRS and GMRS. That upsets the numbering.  What brand of radios do they use?

It sounds like you’re using simplex anyway and the UV5R does have the ability to scan for CTCSS so just do that.

In the meantime leave the tone out on the receive side and you’ll still hear your colleagues.

Most use Midland or whatever they can get at Best Buy. I need to communicate with them since I direct a lot of the operations. 

Thanks

Since you know for sure the CTCSS frequency, push the Menu button and step through the menus until you get to menu 13, which is where you set CTCSS for transmitting.  Step through the tones until you get to the right tone.  Test it with one of your buddies.

Then do the same thing for menu 11 which is CTCSS for receive.

This video shows how to set the codes, but it also shows how to setup for a repeater.  Just learn about the codes for now.