No laughing allowed...well maybe a little....

WRWR978

Question

Ok everyone, here's my scenario. I just moved into a new home that has a built in 80' tower in the back yard. Actually the tower is a huge pine tree. The thought here is to throw an arborist line up over the tallest point and hoist my Ed Fong GMRS Jpole (which will in camouflaged PVC) to the tallest point. There is a very good chance this antenna will not be straight up & down like it would be if it were mounted on my roof. Aside from that fact, can you think of any reason I would not want to do this? I mean, it's a free 80' tower! 

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'm also using this tree for an EFHW 130' antenna (inverted "V") 

fun fun. 

Thanks. 

Kevin
WRWR978
Maine, USA

Edited by WRWR978
forgot something...

3 answers to this question

None. It is what I recommend. If you could get it above the canopy, it would be awesome.

Local here WRPJ758 Roland 2.. has one on top of a 100' tree, where he hoisted part of a tower, and a flag pole. One of the best stations you will here. Simplexes 18 miles easy, and hits repeater, up to 30 miles away with conditions. He is also only like 250 feet above sea level. ( rolly polly terrain of dc hampers his range)

It is grounded properly, running heliax 50w from old motorola mobile, as well as a commercial antenna. Heliax from the antenna to his house.

Pic is from the base ladder. Which is about 15 feet up.

Keep in mind he was very picky with the mounting gear. He didn't want to poison and kill the tree with the bolts.

Only maintenance, has been to redo the ground wire, with broke due to the growth of the tree. Currently, the tree has claimed it as part of its trunk.

He wants to climb the tree to clear the canopy from around the antenna. None of us want him to, since now he is 78. The antenna use to be above the tree. Now you can barely make out the tip.

I have more pictures at home. Old photos he gave me. Will try to post more later.http://files.mygmrs.com/forums/monthly_2023_11/IMG_20220922_164134.jpg.cd1cbfd566fdc74e1cf9b504678e9ae6.jpg

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

That's pretty awesome. Ya, don't let him climb that tree if you can help it. But that's impressive. I don't mind climbing but this tree is full of sap and I just don't want to be bothered. A fishing pole, slingshot and arborist line and I'm safely on the ground. Thanks for the feedback and the pic. 73' de WRWR978

That's pretty awesome. Ya, don't let him climb that tree if you can help it. But that's impressive. I don't mind climbing but this tree is full of sap and I just don't want to be bothered. A fishing pole, slingshot and arborist line and I'm safely on the ground. Thanks for the feedback and the pic. 73' de WRWR978
He won't listen. Still regularly tries to climb towers to help out with the repeaters around here.

I was going to do the same as you.

I was going to tether the base of the antenna as well. To stop the antenna from swinging. Even thought about climbing the pine tree to lash the antenna with rope. Damn hoa...

Alas, the tree one storm decided it wanted to take a nap on the neighbors house.

If you can get access to a bucket truck, it will make securing the antenna easier.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk