Antenna for Wouxun KG1000g plus

WRYP906

Question

The  Wouxun KG1000g plus has a multi-band receiving capability including ability to receive within the: 

50-53.995 MHz Receive Only Frequencies (6m)

108-179.995 MHz Receive Only VHF Frequencies

320-349.995 MHz Receive Only Frequencies

400-479.995 MHz Receive Only UHF Frequencies (70cm)

700-985 MHz Receive Only Frequencies

AM 108-136MHz (RX)

Built-in NOAA Weather Channels

I have been advised by  buy two-way radio to use a Tram Discone Broad Band Base Antenna (25-1300 MHz) which is a CB  antenna.  Orgianlly they recommended a Tram 1486 UHF Fiberglass Base Antenna, which is a single band radio. Edison fong sugested for the KG1000G, folks use our 5dB gain GMRS antenna.  With the exception of the Marine channels, HAM channels, analog FM communications have disappeared. Virtually all government and commercial have gone  either P25 or DMR digital.

Has anyone had success with antennas for KG1000Gplus in receiving various bands while successfully transmitting the GMRS channels?  

5 answers to this question

Not specifically the KG1000, but in general for deskside/mobile/ht use (this is not the same for repeater and receive sensitive applications):

While you can deep dive into all the various antenna theory, practice, and RF technical learn and realize that receive antenna function is separate and follows decently differing physics, the basics for most people is this:

Unless you have a use case where reception specific needs are critical and override transmission need, receive behavior of an antenna is MUCH less a factor than transmit behavior, and I'd make your antenna selection based on transmit function as opposed to receive.

Pick the most effective TRANSMIT tuned antenna you need, and use it. You'll still be able to receive with some relative efficiency on a wide band of RF.

Otherwise, if receive function is more the desire here, buy a scanner and build/use a wideband long wire antenna (or the likes of)....

I don't have the radio listed, but I do have a Larsen NMO150/450/857 antenna that covers all of VHF high, UHF and the 700/800 band. It is connected to a radio that does all those bands in one. I don't scan airband, but it's not much outside the VHF LMR band.

Attached is the SWR scan of mine attic mounted:

image.thumb.png.2e0e5dc36cc747d705ffd58351f4535d.png

image.thumb.png.5f2fcf6ccece1edad5788821c6e8692a.png

image.thumb.png.f7108084232029631b25201ec8b8438f.png

3 hours ago, WRYP906 said:

The  Wouxun KG1000g plus has a multi-band receiving capability including ability to receive within the: 

AM 108-136MHz (RX)

I have been advised by  buy two-way radio to use a Tram Discone Broad Band Base Antenna (25-1300 MHz) which is a CB  antenna.  Orgianlly they recommended a Tram 1486 UHF Fiberglass Base Antenna, which is a single band radio. Edison fong sugested for the KG1000G, folks use our 5dB gain GMRS antenna.  With the exception of the Marine channels, HAM channels, analog FM communications have disappeared. Virtually all government and commercial have gone  either P25 or DMR digital.

Has anyone had success with antennas for KG1000Gplus in receiving various bands while successfully transmitting the GMRS channels?  

I used a discone antenna when I first got into ham radio. I had problems with intermodulation of different signals because the discone was such a wideband antenna. I got a monoband antenna and the intermodulation went away, got better performance on 2M (freq of interest at that time) and I could still receive airband just fine.

I agree with WRZE995, get an antenna for the GMRS band.

On 1/17/2024 at 8:58 AM, WRYP906 said:

AM 108-136MHz (RX)

I use a compactenna scan-III.  It is a wide band antenna, that give good results in the gmrs bands.   I also use this antenna with a SDR,  and on a routine bases get NOAA, AM broadcast, I have even picked up some weather satelite data (137.1).   Below are my swr results for a number of bands.   I think there are better GMRS specific antennas, however for my setup, it works quite well.   The first pic is swr at 462 and 467, the second is 420 to 470, third is 2 meters.   I have also shown the switch setup I use to switch from the GMRS to sdr setup.  I have the wouxun kg1000 plus, but find myself using it primarily for GMRS, When setting it up I confirmed it worked for NOAA/FM etc, however for my use, the wouxun is probably overkill, since I don't use all its capabilities.  Best of luck

462_467.jpg

420.jpg

2METER.jpg

kg1000_base_1.JPG

You can receive on just about any antenna.   Stay away from Ed fong.  Every one I have ever see get one tosses them in the garbage. I’m a member of a huge club.  Many many of the members have kg1000g plus radios.  Most if not all use a comet 712efc.  $135 10’ tall 9dbgain easily transmits 200miles with a 20w radio and will receive noaa, murs, vhf, uhf, and even fm radio no issue at all.  Again you can receive with a coat hanger.  It’s the transmit that matters on tuning.