Homemade Yagi on a UV-9G at 40 Miles

WSAR863

Finished a 9 element Yagi yesterday and I got it tuned in to an SWR of 1.09:1. My nearest repeater is about repeater 40 miles away, in Baton Rouge and I am able to hear them talking on it, but I have 3 issues. 

1, the antenna has zones of interference, where the signal becomes overwhelmed by interference. Moving over/up/down usually fixes the issue and I can receive the repeater with only a very slight hiss. What could be causing the interference and is there any way to counter it?

2, I can hit the repeater and it responds to me, but the people say they can't hear me. Idk if my TX volume is low or I'm getting too much background static. Is there anyway to tweak the antenna without adding elements or watts? I already have my SWR about as low as I can get it, tuned to the RX frequency of the repeater.

3, I can hear the people talking, but I have to turn the volume all the way up. Like I said, there is very little background hiss, but it's like they are whispering.

Thanks for any ideas!

1. You now have a directional antenna. Track the interference to learn what it is. 
2. You already have a 9 element antenna. Adding more elements follows the law of diminishing returns.  Assuming you built the antenna correctly, raising the antenna is probably the next thing to try. But check to see if you’re transmitting on wide rather than narrow. 
3. Raise the antenna?  Not sure. 

A lady gets on our 2 meter net from about 80 miles away using a handheld Yagi and a Yaesu Vx6 5 watt radio. It’s amazing how clearly we hear her. I thought she must have a 80 watt mobile but she just has 5, so it’s possible. 

1, the interference is in the direction of the repeater. That being said, idk if it is actually interference or loss of signal. It's almost like the signal just goes away. I can pick up the repeater, move over a foot, lose the signal, move over another foot in the same direction, and have it again. If I raise the antenna, same thing. 2 feet higher, static. 3 feet, good. 4 feet, static.

2, Good idea, but yes, I'm on wide. 

PXL_20240225_180502463~2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

About to finish my 9-element Yagi. Two things you might check, I had a similar issue. Your high movement for me anyway was when making the N connection to the Gamma feed line, I got the center pin connector too hot and the installation holding the pin became weak. This causes the N connector to not have a secure connection if I move the antenna. It is always something small. I hope you can check this out and solve your issues. It did for me.