Baofeng 5RM "Unexpected error communicating with the radio" in CHIRP Next.

WSAA635

Question

I'm trying to upload my 5RM to CHIRP Next so I can program the channels into it but keep getting an "Unexpected error communicating with the radio" message. I tried my UV-5R and it uploaded without a hitch so it's not the cable or the com port.  I did download the CPS from Baofeng for the 5RM and can "see" the functions and change them but for the channels the top bar is all squares without any readable text(probably a WINE issue) so I have no clue what goes where.  I've installed drivers and that doesn't help either. I'm sure there's an easy fix that I'm overlooking or haven't found on the YouTubes yet but if anyone has a clue as to what's going on I'd appreciate some help. I really don't want to hand program all those channels into the radio. Thanks.

081.jpg

4 answers to this question

6 minutes ago, WSAA635 said:

I'm trying to upload my 5RM to CHIRP Next so I can program the channels into it but keep getting an "Unexpected error communicating with the radio" message. I tried my UV-5R and it uploaded without a hitch so it's not the cable or the com port.  I did download the CPS from Baofeng for the 5RM and can "see" the functions and change them but for the channels the top bar is all squares without any readable text(probably a WINE issue) so I have no clue what goes where.  I've installed drivers and that doesn't help either. I'm sure there's an easy fix that I'm overlooking or haven't found on the YouTubes yet but if anyone has a clue as to what's going on I'd appreciate some help. I really don't want to hand program all those channels into the radio. Thanks.

081.jpg

I've heard it said (on the Miklor site) and had it happen personally on my Baofengs, that if the plug isn't inserted all the way, CHIRP won't read the radio. And sometimes you even need to trim some off the plug to make it fit. It doesn't take much to keep those pins from making contact. Just a thought.

One trick that I have found is download from the radio first. It seems to reset the parameters in Chirp save original file for backup. Then modify that file and save with a different name.  Then try to upload. 

ps like your u- tube channel 

wrxj-635

I was trying to download from the radio but kept getting an error. Kind of a moot point now, sent it back, I'm too old and to impatient to deal with something that won't work properly.  I started a new thread with the hopes that ya'll can help me figure out what my next radio should be, even if it's just another A36 Plus. Heck, I could probably get 2 of em' for the money I'll have.

Anyway, thanks for the P.S., I've not been posting as much as I should/want too but it's nice to know that someone is watching. 👍