Connecting to repeater using GM-5RH

So I’m trying to connect to a local repeater that says it reaches far beyond where I live. I have a GM-5RH (UV-5G coming next week). I think I got it? I followed Notarubicon’s video as to program it through the device because I can’t get any software to program it. But I’m not hearing anything. Did I do something wrong or is everyone around me just antisocial?

1 hour ago, WSBV888 said:

So I’m trying to connect to a local repeater that says it reaches far beyond where I live. I have a GM-5RH (UV-5G coming next week). I think I got it? I followed Notarubicon’s video as to program it through the device because I can’t get any software to program it. But I’m not hearing anything. Did I do something wrong or is everyone around me just antisocial?

There's several reasons that you may not be hearing any response from the repeater. For instance, my amateur radio repeaters are at almost 6,000 feet and have a reach of probably 100 miles. But they're 80 watts. Your handheld is 5 watts and at ground level where there are more obstructions, so it may be that your signal is just not strong enough for the repeater to hear. If you are transmitting from in your house or car, your signal can't reach the repeater. Go outside where you have fewer obstructions between you and the repeater. You also may have the CTCSS tones set wrong. I would recommend that you only use a CTCSS tone on transmit, and turn off the receive CTCSS if you are using it. Also make sure your power is set to high. It's also possible that no one is using the repeater. GMRS repeaters are generally not social clubs, so often times there is just no one on them. When you press and release the PTT on your radio, do you hear anything back from the repeater? Like a courtesy tone or any sort of "noise" (squelch tail) from the repeater that drops after a second? One other thing, when you say you are not hearing anything, is it just because you are listening and not saying your call sign and not announcing your presence on the repeater? Just listening may result in never hearing anything. You need to let people know you're there. Ask for a signal report. Just something simple like "This is WSBV888. Can I get a signal report?" Good luck. Let us know how you do.

There's several reasons that you may not be hearing any response from the repeater. For instance, my amateur radio repeaters are at almost 6,000 feet and have a reach of probably 100 miles. But they're 80 watts. Your handheld is 5 watts and at ground level where there are more obstructions, so it may be that your signal is just not strong enough for the repeater to hear. If you are transmitting from in your house or car, your signal can't reach the repeater. Go outside where you have fewer obstructions between you and the repeater. You also may have the CTCSS tones set wrong. I would recommend that you only use a CTCSS tone on transmit, and turn off the receive CTCSS if you are using it. Also make sure your power is set to high. It's also possible that no one is using the repeater. GMRS repeaters are generally not social clubs, so often times there is just no one on them. When you press and release the PTT on your radio, do you hear anything back from the repeater? Like a courtesy tone or any sort of "noise" (squelch tail) from the repeater that drops after a second? One other thing, when you say you are not hearing anything, is it just because you are listening and not saying your call sign and not announcing your presence on the repeater? Just listening may result in never hearing anything. You need to let people know you're there. Ask for a signal report. Just something simple like "This is WSBV888. Can I get a signal report?" Good luck. Let us know how you do.

Thank you so much! I got it to work. I finally made myself talk and ask for a signal report and got a loud and clear. I’m picking up people from 50-60 miles away on this repeater! I’m hooked!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

42 minutes ago, WSBV888 said:

Thank you so much! I got it to work. I finally made myself talk and ask for a signal report and got a loud and clear. I’m picking up people from 50-60 miles away on this repeater! I’m hooked!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome! Glad it's working for you!