When transmitting to a repeater, how come sometimes I hear tail squelch and sometimes I don't?

WSBV579

Question

On a local repeater, sometimes when I transmit, at the end of transmission and I release the PTT, I hear the tail squelch...and sometimes I don't hear it. When I don't hear it, I still know I'm being received on the other end as I'm still being engaged in conversation.

Why do I only sometimes hear the repeater tail squelch? I'd rather always hear it so that I know the repeater is receiving my transmission.

4 answers to this question

46 minutes ago, WSBV579 said:

On a local repeater, sometimes when I transmit, at the end of transmission and I release the PTT, I hear the tail squelch...and sometimes I don't hear it. When I don't hear it, I still know I'm being received on the other end as I'm still being engaged in conversation.

Why do I only sometimes hear the repeater tail squelch? I'd rather always hear it so that I know the repeater is receiving my transmission.

Are the people you are talking to letting the repeater drop before they talk? Are they leaving any space between your last word and their first word?

1 hour ago, WRQC527 said:

Are the people you are talking to letting the repeater drop before they talk? Are they leaving any space between your last word and their first word?

Both.

But I guess an added piece of info, on my base radio I always hear the tail squelch...my mobile radio is the one that this question concerns. If the squelch on my radio is too high, will that block the tail squelch from being heard?

On 3/19/2024 at 3:34 PM, WSBV579 said:

I am not familiar with the GMRS radio programming  but I have been programming radios for many years. On the radios I program there is an option to enable reverse tone. enabling reverse tone will change the tone when the radio is unkeyed and prevents hearing of the tail squelch.