MXT115 Repeater mode

WSAY672

Question

6 answers to this question

If you have your manual there are quick tip section to set the repeater function. you need the ctcss code of the repeater you trying to reach. you also need to be within range of the repeater at least 10 miles or less. your MXT115 only have 15W.

23 minutes ago, ironokole said:

If you have your manual there are quick tip section to set the repeater function. you need the ctcss code of the repeater you trying to reach. you also need to be within range of the repeater at least 10 miles or less. your MXT115 only have 15W.

Why would a 15w be less than 10miles?   My 20w base putting out 18w gets 200miles.   My 5w $20radios with 771antennas get well over 30miles. 

to the op…. Read the manual it’s in there 7th option is RP set to ON that will open up the repeater channels.  RP is after BP and before DB.
 Hook it to a good antenna and get line of site you will do fine.   Eventually you may want to get out of the midland and into a better radio that is easier to use, but, maybe not.  I’m not a midland fan but if it works for you run it and have fun.  

IMG_4777.jpeg

2 hours ago, WSAY672 said:

I can't get my MXT115 into repeater mode.   Anyone have any tips?  

Found it...  not as simple as it should be....   turns out that there's two channels for each channel.  After turning on the repeater mode, you have to keep scrolling through channels.  Example,  still have a simplex ch20, and also a ch20 with the rpt icon. 

Welll i say it's all about antennas and where the repeater is. if the repeater is high yes you very well get the distance. 771 handheld antennas are good I've reached the repeater that is 400 feet up 20 miles away I am in a low area surrounded by trees. my modulation is poor and static too but is ok.

6 hours ago, WSAY672 said:

I can't get my MXT115 into repeater mode.   Anyone have any tips?  

4 hours ago, WSAY672 said:

Found it...  not as simple as it should be....   turns out that there's two channels for each channel.  After turning on the repeater mode, you have to keep scrolling through channels.  Example,  still have a simplex ch20, and also a ch20 with the rpt icon. 

Something to keep in mind with that model, is that even when Repeater mode is enabled, and you are using the RP channels, it will be set to NFM (Narrow FM).  You have to send it to Midland to ask them to change it to WFM (Wide FM) for the repeater channels.  They don't charge you for it, but still kind of a pain.  Will it prevent you from using a repeater?  No, but the audio won't sound as good.  The repeater will sound quiet to you, since you're hearing only 1/2 of the bandwidth.  When you are transmitting to the repeater, others will hear you fine, but your voice won't sound as full, since you're transmitting using only half the bandwidth.

If you do send it in to be updated, the WFM is only for the RP (repeater) channels.  So if you're on CH 16 simplex, it's going to be NFM.  One of the shortcomings of the radio.  Other than a goofy menu system (including their listings of CTCSS/DCS tones), the radio itself is just fine for simplex communications, and actually sounds decent.