CTCSS vs. DCS

dangerruss

Question

I am trying to better understand how to use repeaters in my area and need some help understanding CTCSS and DCS.  The attached PDF file shows a particular repeater in Dallas, TX.  Once source from an app on my iPhone shows input and output frequencies for tones. An online source using my laptop at mygmrs.com uses DPL for input and output tones.   Are they both correct?  Are they the same?

See attached pdf file..

CTCSS vs DCS Questions.pdf

3 answers to this question

two sets of info,, As the latter suggested, program both to see which tones are correct.  Some radios will auto detect the tones for you.. CTCSS and DPL are a complete different set of tones.  The difference is that CTCSS (Continuous Tone Coded Squelch System) uses continuous tones below 300 Hz whereas DCS (Digital-Coded System) uses digital data or encoded-words which are very unique and all encoded words can be used on the same channel without interference. Transmitter un-keys the code at the end of transmission and just 0.5 seconds before the transmission which indicates the radio at 134 Hz tone which serves as turn off code. The FM deviation level should be in the range of 500 Hz to 800 Hz in DCS technolog.