Baofeng Handheld UV-5G

WSCB526

Question

I am just about ready to turn this hardware into paperweight.  I have tried everything, ready everything (even the dreaded manual that come with it) and watched countless YouTube videos on how to input settings into this to provide me with repeater access.  Perhaps I am too far away from it; but I do get a tone or a digital callback from at least one of them.  I would only hope that someone can at least just advise me where in the settings (using Chirp) these settings go.

When initially downloading from the radio, it's memory is divided.  Channels 1-22 have a label called GMRS1 - GMRS22     and    Channels 23 - 30 are labeled REPTR 1-8  

My question is.  The repeaters usually provide their frequency(s) IN an OUT as well as the IN and OUT PL.    I  am using Chirp for entries.  When first entering this info, do you start first off with entries made in the REPRT1-8 section     OR the GMRS1-22 section Hi or LOW power area?

Any help is appreciated.  If the answers are that I am doing this correctly than I will be able to conclude that I am just in an area too far from the repeater...       Thanks so much for any help or suggestions....

5 answers to this question

13 minutes ago, WSCB526 said:

I am just about ready to turn this hardware into paperweight.  I have tried everything, ready everything (even the dreaded manual that come with it) and watched countless YouTube videos on how to input settings into this to provide me with repeater access.  Perhaps I am too far away from it; but I do get a tone or a digital callback from at least one of them.  I would only hope that someone can at least just advise me where in the settings (using Chirp) these settings go.

When initially downloading from the radio, it's memory is divided.  Channels 1-22 have a label called GMRS1 - GMRS22     and    Channels 23 - 30 are labeled REPTR 1-8  

My question is.  The repeaters usually provide their frequency(s) IN an OUT as well as the IN and OUT PL.    I  am using Chirp for entries.  When first entering this info, do you start first off with entries made in the REPRT1-8 section     OR the GMRS1-22 section Hi or LOW power area?

Any help is appreciated.  If the answers are that I am doing this correctly than I will be able to conclude that I am just in an area too far from the repeater...       Thanks so much for any help or suggestions....

On that Radio You Can NOT Change or modify Channels 1-30 and Channels 117-125 They are Preset that way 
Using Chirp to program Channels after channel 30 will save all when you upload to the radio 
You can change Some Settings  But some reset to Default setting 

19 minutes ago, WSCB526 said:

Thank you for your answer.  I will reload the img file with those settings and giv them a try again..      Thank you so much for the help

The +5 offset will already be programmed for the repeater channels so you should only have to worry about installing the tones. If you have repeaters that use the same frequencies you can program the channels following 30 with more repeater channels by duplicating what is programmed from 23-30. Hope this helps. 

edit - one more thought here, some people have been having issues with channel 15 on some Baofeng radios so I guess that’s something to watch for. I understand there is a software fix or return it.