My first Boofwang

In general discussion, hope it is not too general for its forum space but I was wondering if folks would not mind sharing what drew you into two way  radio.

I got my first Baofeng in April of 2014 from Amazon.  At that time it was around 35 - 40 dollars US.

Way way before that, growing up in the rural Appalachians in coal mining country, everyone had a CB.  You needed it.  With the roads and switchbacks winding through the hills made of a two lane road, and a tight turn with a truck loaded with coal will need both lanes to make the switchback, having a warning while in your car when you are getting near and hear - Coming down Bold Gap road at Red rock curve, loaded - You know to stop and let him make the curve that all had a name, and you knew the ones you were close to.  My dad owned a small coal trucking business so I was keenly aware of how it worked.

In High School, even though we had no idea it had a name, my friends and I would spend weekend nights bored and basically do a "redneck foxhunt", if i were to try to pen a name to it today.

Someone was the hiding one, and they would try to find a place in town to hide and park and wait.  We would talk back and forth on the radio, and try to suss out where they were parked while driving around and looking for them.

I did a trick i figured out by accident that if they were really close to my spot, I would go up or down one channel and call em back.  They usually would receive me being so close, but it sounded like I was on the other side of town, and they would head off that way.

Anyway, the boofwang i got because where i worked having one was helpful, but only the chosen ones had one of the company Motorolas as there were only so many to go around.  i figured out the freq, programmed it in, but no go.  Figured out they were using a digital squelch and found out even this cheap chineseium radio could scan and figure that one out.

The occasional chaos I would do to my co workers on my lunch breaks sitting in my car because of that is a tale for another day.

Edited by WRXR255
clarification