Just learning about these linked repeaters but I have a couple of questions

csboddy

Question

• If I want to communicate through the linked repeaters (with permissions of course) would I have to install a repeater of my own or can I use an existing repeater?
  • Ive seen Zello mentioned, is that an easier or cheaper route? I have a couple of hanhelds but I rent so I can't put up an antenna.

5 answers to this question

38 minutes ago, csboddy said:
  • If I want to communicate through the linked repeaters (with permissions of course) would I have to install a repeater of my own or can I use an existing repeater?
  • Ive seen Zello mentioned, is that an easier or cheaper route? I have a couple of hanhelds but I rent so I can't put up an antenna.

You don't need your own linked repeater, all you need is permission to use an existing linked repeater. That is, unless you have money to burn and you want your own repeater.

I used Zello once, mostly because I don't want to use it twice. Not a fan.

Linked GMRS repeaters are a hot-button issue across the GMRS universe. Some people like them, some don't, some say they're allowed, some say they're not, some people who had them disconnected them to avoid potential trouble with the FCC (should the FCC ever crack down, which is unlikely). It depends on what you think GMRS is for and how you interpret Part 95 rules. Endless arguments are raging to this day.

I would say that if you're this interested in linked repeaters, get your amateur radio technician license and play with linked repeaters to your heart's content. Amateurs have it figured out. I have some pretty strong opinions about linked GMRS repeaters.

If you join local GMRS club the repeaters will not charge you, I think. Look on this site to join. $25 a year with credit card. It helps support the net of repeaters. We would be nowhere without them. They spend a lot of money on their equipment and maintenance. Just look up on gmrs networks your area. Have fun.

On 4/13/2024 at 6:03 PM, csboddy said:

.For the first question, you don't need a repeater (linked or not) to access a repeater. You just need a radio & antenna setup capable of reaching the repeater--the higher the antenna, the greater the range.

For the second, think of Zello as an app that lets your phone work like a radio, or talk to a radio such as a repeater. If the owner of a linked repeater, or more specifically a repeater with internet access,  has installed Zello functionality, then you could use your phone to talk to a radio user or another Zello user via that repeater, and they can talk to you.

On 4/13/2024 at 6:54 PM, WRQC527 said:

I would say that if you're this interested in linked repeaters, get your amateur radio technician license and play with linked repeaters to your heart's content. Amateurs have it figured out. I have some pretty strong opinions about linked GMRS repeaters.

Good recommendation.

The main issue with linked repeaters is when one is used the whole system is in use over a wide area making the additional repeaters rather useless. For example when two locals are talking, on their locally linked repeater, why would somebody 200 miles away care about their conversation when all they want is to contact their base station from across town using their locally linked repeater.

With many of the Ham repeaters, particularly the digital voice mode ones, have a way to either access the repeater and keep the communications local or address a remote repeater(s) specifically for a link.

On 4/16/2024 at 12:31 PM, WRVR303 said:

.For the first question, you don't need a repeater (linked or not) to access a repeater. You just need a radio & antenna setup capable of reaching the repeater--the higher the antenna, the greater the range.

For the second, think of Zello as an app that lets your phone work like a radio, or talk to a radio such as a repeater. If the owner of a linked repeater, or more specifically a repeater with internet access,  has installed Zello functionality, then you could use your phone to talk to a radio user or another Zello user via that repeater, and they can talk to you.

Roger that. Thanks for the info