MCS 2000 and ID O Matic 4 help.

WQTK477

Question

Im trying to build a repeater from 2 MCS 2000s and an ID O Matic 4 and have hit a wall. Using what info I can find the transmit radio would beacon and ID just fine..until I put the RX radio inline. Once the IDO tried to beacon it keyed up for a second then let the magic smoke out of the TX radio. Im stumped wether its a programing issue that caused a loop back into the TX radio or it was bad wiring info. I have alot of time and money invested so far and just cant wrap my brain around the issue. Any help would be a blessing. Thanks, Ben, KC3IBZ/WRFG802

7 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, WQTK477 said:

Im trying to build a repeater from 2 MCS 2000s and an ID O Matic 4 and have hit a wall. Using what info I can find the transmit radio would beacon and ID just fine..until I put the RX radio inline. Once the IDO tried to beacon it keyed up for a second then let the magic smoke out of the TX radio. Im stumped wether its a programing issue that caused a loop back into the TX radio or it was bad wiring info. I have alot of time and money invested so far and just cant wrap my brain around the issue. Any help would be a blessing. Thanks, Ben, KC3IBZ/WRFG802

Were the receiver and transmitter on different frequencies and connected to a duplexer?

Hi glad to see you found the issue.  I am getting ready to add an idomatic 4 to an existing package set up on the 2000 radio.

Just wanted as if you had any other advice on the set up..

Thanks

Darrell WRTM515

Glad you got it sorted out.  I really like the IDO4.  Easy to set up and use.  I'm running a IDO4 w/voice capability on a Kenwood TKR750 being used as one of my club's amateur repeaters. We also have a Kenwood TKR850 being used as a GMRS repeater and I plan on putting an IDO4 w/voice on it as well.  We just put the GMRS repeater up a few days ago. It has a 25-30 mile range.  It has not been made public yet as we're still in the testing phase to make sure all is good.  There's not much GMRS traffic around here except for my group.