Magnetic antenna placement

GizzardGary

Question

I purchased a Nagoya UT-72G, and I want to install it on my Jeep Compass Trailhawk.  On the roof, there are 5 raised ribs running almost the length of the roof, and you guessed it, one runs right down the middle.  The ribs are narrower than the magnetic antenna base, so placing the antenna in dead center of the roof isn't going to be possible.  There is about a foot or more at the rear of the roof that has no ribs, and I could put it there, but that would place it close to the radio antenna (which might be an issue).  So, should I place it slightly off to one side, about halfway down the vehicle, or in the center towards the rear, closer to the radio antenna?

5 answers to this question

36 minutes ago, WRQW589 said:

Set up a voice activated voice recorder plugged into the speaker output on a handheld radio upstairs in your home. Put your antenna off center on your roof. Go driving around the city calling into the channel you have set saying "Radio test from (xyz location) bearing west, this is WRQW999, no response required." Then turn around and do the same, from the same location, facing east, north, south.  Now go to another location and do the same.

When you get home, listen to your recordings and decide if being three inches off-center has mattered.

Funny, I considered doing exactly that.  No more GMRS traffic than there is in my area, I'm pretty sure no one would even notice.

Slightly to the side, or possibly even adjacent to the AM/FM/XM radio antenna, both would probably be fine. But the good news is it's a magnetic mount, so you can experiment and decide what works. If you were drilling holes that would be different.

Set up a voice activated voice recorder plugged into the speaker output on a handheld radio upstairs in your home. Put your antenna off center on your roof. Go driving around the city calling into the channel you have set saying "Radio test from (xyz location) bearing west, this is WRQW999, no response required." Then turn around and do the same, from the same location, facing east, north, south.  Now go to another location and do the same.

When you get home, listen to your recordings and decide if being three inches off-center has mattered.

Agree with '381; technically the off-center roof placement  may make a difference, but practically it will not.   I doubt it would interfere with the radio reception, and if it does, it would only be on transmit, and you would not be listening to the broadcast radio if you are talking to someone!