KB9VBR Slim Jim GMRS Antenna versus Ed Fong DBJ-UHF GMRS Antenna

This is a non-biased review of both antennas which are both great. Nobody gave me anything for free, I bought both of them. The tests were all made on the same 70’ LMR-400 cable run, same antenna mast, same MFJ Grandmaster Meter, Mini 1300 Antenna Analyzer, BTECH UV50x3 on high power (50 w). I live in a HOA so both antennas were raised as high as could be allowed and painted (non-metal base) per HOA request.

First, I started with the Slim Jim, it is a very durable and tough little antenna, which claims a 6dB gain. It works great, I was able to reach nearly every repeater in the city, and I thought it was great on simplex GMRS frequencies too. Michael at KB9VBR was very helpful when I talked to him, and the antenna was shipped fast. What got me to consider another antenna was the high SWR’s and lower power on the repeater transmit frequencies. Overall, it is a great antenna, but although the numbers in the simplex frequencies looked great, I wanted to reach out more, so I gave Ed Fong a call.

This led me to talking with Ed Fong about some antenna theory and decided to buy the DBJ-UHF antenna tuned for GMRS, for my GMRS antenna.

I ordered the antenna and received it in two days, in the meantime, I purchased the 200 psi PVC pipe (he tells you which stuff to buy, and Lowes had it for $5 for 10’). I painted all but ½ inch on each side for the end caps to slide on.

Received the antenna, put it together, sealed with silicone at the caps, and painted the ends. First thought, it is a flimsy antenna, and the UHF connector is on a plastic end-piece, you can only finger tighten it.  This worried me and still does. 

Installed it and started my testing, and this is where it gets interesting.  Below I am having side by side forward power and swr measurements for both antennas through the GMRS band, but numbers don’t always tell the whole story, which is why I needed to write this non-biased review.

I have a buddy that lives 13 miles west as the crow flies (I am on 51st Ave and Happy Valley and everybody knows about the mountains on 67th Ave and 83rd Ave) with mountains between us (not a direct line of sight for sure). With my Slim Jim, I have been able to hit the Sun City West repeater and he lives close to that so we can talk through the repeater, but I wanted to get him with simplex and with the Slim Jim, he could not hear me. Keep in mind he has a handheld, so he can’t reach me, but I wanted to reach him on simplex.

We did our first radio check, and what do you know, he can hear me 4x5 simplex, and on the repeater, he says it sounds like I am in the room.  That is the test that tells all. I know there are other things in play, but overall, I have made other radio checks and getting the same results, better transmit quality and distance and the receive side is just better.

I am attaching some images of the antenna analyzer for the antenna guys (Ed Fong Antenna Only) and also posting side by side forward power and swr’s with both antennas on the same everything (running through the MFJ Grandmaster).

Enjoy, both antennas are good and both work, but for me the Ed Fong is superior in performance, not so much durability, so for a repeater antenna that I didn’t want to mess with, the copper KB9VBR Slim Jim may be better only due to overall longevity. But for actual superior function and performance, the Ed Fong is my choice.

EDIT: I have changed the antenna analyzer images, as the original images were through a Rg8x jumper and switched to a Rg142 jumper which is a much better match throughout all the bands I have tested with my LMR-400.

KB9VBR Slim Jim

Ed Fong

Fwd

SWR

Fwd

SWR

45w

46w

48w

45w

50w

46w

52w

45w

55w

44w

59w

44w

58w

43w

52w

42w

50w

42w

48w

41w

42w

41w

40w

41w

38w

41w

37w

41w

34w

41w

32w

41w

31w

41w

30w

40w

30w

39w

30w

39w

31w

38w

31w

38w

IMG_9297.jpg

SlimJimPhoto.jpg

00000040.PNG.3152219c6a50d9290577b9555d3f9a49.PNGFONG142G.PNG.13c8b7a37e5b53157b1dcec3b83bf5d7.PNG00000041.PNG.dd101766eae82c7811c5df098c522314.PNG

IMG_9327-1.thumb.png.a8f670884b2b91244838f38d30053b93.png

IMG_9330-1.png

Edited by WSBR383
Changed cable better match

Good review.

Not shocked by results. One antenna was designed by a Professor that teaches antenna design. The other by an amateur radio operator, whom visually reads of cue cards in his videos, not knocking him. But I would choose the antenna designed by an RF Professor with some very sound design.

The ed fong should last years, the pvc maybe not so much, depending on sunlight.

Have fun!

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Can’t stand either one of them.  Every one I know that fell for the Ed fong junk tossed them in the trash in a couple days and the other is even worse.   Just buy a good antenna.  For the money the comet 712efc blows them both completely out of the water.  Just recently we had a club member that fell for the Ed fong antenna.  He was way up on the side of a hill over looking the huge valley  with 20’ of Lmr400 hooked to a 50w base station.  He could not even break squelch on the club repeater 45miles away.  He tossed it and went with a comet712 and now he is full quieting in to the repeater and has simplex conversions all the time over 100miles away and no tuning required or needed 

WRXP381, I am sure the Comet 712 is better, but again, in an HOA, they don't allow you to have a 10.4' antenna above the roof-line.  If I had no restrictions, I would choose a different antenna.  I actually have a comet SB 790a for 2m and 70CM and love it, it was the biggest I could go and still be allowed in my HOA.

Please keep review in context, I am not saying these are the "Best" antennas, but they are the best antennas that are smaller, don't require radials, and put out decent gain for a reasonable price point.  My 13 mile reference is with mountains between btw, I can hit well over 30+ miles till I hit south mountain simplex.

As an x signal-corp officer and an electrical engineer, Dr. Fong impressed me and didn't try to sell me on his antenna, he just answered questions I had about his antenna and my locational situation.

Can’t stand either one of them.  Every one I know that fell for the Ed fong junk tossed them in the trash in a couple days and the other is even worse.   Just buy a good antenna.  For the money the comet 712efc blows them both completely out of the water.  Just recently we had a club member that fell for the Ed fong antenna.  He was way up on the side of a hill over looking the huge valley  with 20’ of Lmr400 hooked to a 50w base station.  He could not even break squelch on the club repeater 45miles away.  He tossed it and went with a comet712 and now he is full quieting in to the repeater and has simplex conversions all the time over 100miles away and no tuning required or needed 
I was saying between the two, I would probably go for the ed fong. Personally, in the attic I have the x300a (hoa restrictions). Till I have the home brew 4 element gmrs yagi and the 5 element 2m yagi up.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I wanted to do an update (see images on original review), I replaced the Rg8x jumper cable coming from my radio to the antenna switch with Rg142 and it helped and is better matched to the LMR-400. The images on original review are through my antenna analyzer with a new RG142 cable into the antenna switch, then 70' of LMR 400 to the Ed Fong antenna.  I will say my signal reports are really good and I am extremely happy with the end results, it is near a perfect match.  I run a Comet SB-790A antenna for 2m and 70cm on the switch as well through a 60' LMR 400 run, numbers are great on there as well.  Very happy with the set up.  Again, like I said, the Ed Fong UHF GMRS antenna just works, I have tested a bunch of different antennas and the numbers and actual field results are good.  But, just wish the UHF connector on the cap was better and/or more durable. I used some caulking to seal it up and I have it mounted to my mast with HVAC zip ties, which are hefty.

00000041.PNG.55a4d2b1ac3fc8122ea2230012bdd5d5.PNGFONG142G.PNG.0fc5ca83e07e09bbfa559a51014ee971.PNG

00000040.PNG.5d43f23ead2cd7280d6209e09da2999b.PNG

IMG_9327-1.png

Edited by WSBR383
Edited original review due to cable swap

On 6/3/2024 at 6:36 PM, WSBR383 said:

WRXP381, I am sure the Comet 712 is better, but again, in an HOA, they don't allow you to have a 10.4' antenna above the roof-line.  If I had no restrictions, I would choose a different antenna.  I actually have a comet SB 790a for 2m and 70CM and love it, it was the biggest I could go and still be allowed in my HOA.

Please keep review in context, I am not saying these are the "Best" antennas, but they are the best antennas that are smaller, don't require radials, and put out decent gain for a reasonable price point.  My 13 mile reference is with mountains between btw, I can hit well over 30+ miles till I hit south mountain simplex.

As an x signal-corp officer and an electrical engineer, Dr. Fong impressed me and didn't try to sell me on his antenna, he just answered questions I had about his antenna and my locational situation.

I appreciate your taking the time and effort to test these and post the results. I've built both the copper J-pole (but not a slim-jim) and the Ed Fong for two meters. I found that the copper J-pole did better, but it was very susceptible to detuning if there was anything near it. But if you can get these things in the open, they're effective. I hear folks fairly often doing Summits On The Air on 5 watts using Ed Fongs, from 40-50 miles away. Of course, there's people here who don't like anything

Ya, that could have been the problem with the slim jim as well (being close to other objects), I have restrictions on antenna height.  It was a miracle that I got the HOA to approve what I have, but I had a height limit and had to submit drawings and plans for the antennas I currently have. The top of my fireplace has a metal / tin cover, so not sure if that effected my results with the slim jim or not, but it hasn't effected the Fong antenna. I am happy with the results, but don't get me wrong, I would like to have a DX-333 for tri-band (2m, 1.25m, and 70cm), plus a CA-712EFC for GMRS, but that won't happen in my neighborhood, lol, no way to hide a 10'+ antenna above the roof line.

73's and my advice to anyone is use what works for the situation!!

2 hours ago, WSBR383 said:

Ya, that could have been the problem with the slim jim as well (being close to other objects), I have restrictions on antenna height.  It was a miracle that I got the HOA to approve what I have, but I had a height limit and had to submit drawings and plans for the antennas I currently have. The top of my fireplace has a metal / tin cover, so not sure if that effected my results with the slim jim or not, but it hasn't effected the Fong antenna. I am happy with the results, but don't get me wrong, I would like to have a DX-333 for tri-band (2m, 1.25m, and 70cm), plus a CA-712EFC for GMRS, but that won't happen in my neighborhood, lol, no way to hide a 10'+ antenna above the roof line.

73's and my advice to anyone is use what works for the situation!!

I was happy to discover that my Jetstream JTM3B covers 2 meters, 70 centimeters and GMRS. It doesn't need a ground plane, so I put it on a 24 foot window washing pole.

Not to hijack the thread but I bought a N9TAX Slim Jim and have it up in my attic. It was built for the GMRS frequencies. Very happy with it. IMHO the construction is excellent also. I am a customer and nothing else.

Larry

That is awesome, truth is I posed this just to help people on my experiences.  I do believe everybody has their opinions and sometimes they try to push it on others, but I feel try things and do your research for YOUR specific situation.  Thanks for sharing your experiences it all helps people make informed decisions.