Baofeng UV9G Repeater connection failure.

ISSUE  SOLVED. OPERATOR ERROR.  Solution is at the bottom.

Past issue:

Unboxed a pair of Baofeng UV9G   GMRS HTs last night and have discovered that I have a repeater connection problem on Both of these UV-9Gs. 

I have contacted Baofeng for help. I hope they respond with an answer/ solution since I can't solve this.

Findings: 

Simplex normal. No issues. 

Repeater channels= failure after programming in tone.    

I press the PTT --  both radios show channel change to the repeater offset channel,  and the CTCSS indicator is present.  Proper CTCSS code is installed. No RX CTCSS is needed or installed.  However, there is zero connection/and the repeater does not open properly.  The Repeater is active and opening as usual with my other HT radios here.

After programming the UV9G several times in channel mode, VFO mode, and when using Chirp software = there is no improvement or clues found in Chirp or manually checking options on the radio.   Every setting has been checked and compared to the manual,  and also compared to my other working Baofengs.  No clue. I also tried another antenna.

I am starting to think there is a bug in the Baofeng (FCC compliant) GMRS radios connecting on repeater channels??  Another user on the forum is having like repeater connection problem with a BAofeng UV5G GMRS (FCC compliant) radio.

I hope Baofeng answers with positive advice/tips.....

SOLUTION:

I decided to try a UV5R antenna on the UV9Gs...  and now it works as expected on Repeaters!   

Findings: The smaller diameter UV5R SMA antenna threaded on fully --and made a solid connection. Radio then tested out great on hitting local Repeaters.

Now back to our original antenna as shipped with.   

Further examination of the UV-9G/ Radioddity supplied antenna shows that installing this antenna finger-tight is simply not enough!  Itappears to be a larger diameter (at the base) and fits much tighter than I expected.  The base provides AMPLE drag while spinning on/i.e. rubbing the case opening much.  It also warranted another revolution to be fully seated from where I wanted to stop yesterday.   

This was not expected-- but now I know.

Thanks all!     

How far away are you from the repeater.  I use the uv9 almost exclusively at this point and have never had not one issue.  It MAY be a gmrs locked thing but have you tried driving closer to the repeater first?   What are your other hand held radios and what antennas are they running? Are the other radios gmrs locked? 

it’s a gmrs radio so programming in fvo mode probably won’t take.  Are you on the proper repeater channel?   

48 minutes ago, CoffeeTime said:

Unboxed a pair of Baofeng UV9G   GMRS HTs last night and have discovered that I have a repeater connection problem on Both of these UV-9Gs. 

I have contacted Baofeng for help. I hope they respond with an answer/ solution since I can't solve this.

Findings: 

Simplex normal. No issues. 

Repeater channels= failure after programming in tone.    

I press the PTT --  both radios show channel change to the repeater offset channel,  and the CTCSS indicator is present.  Proper CTCSS code is installed. No RX CTCSS is needed or installed.  However, there is zero connection/and the repeater does not open properly.  The Repeater is active and opening as usual with my other HT radios here.

After programming the UV9G several times in channel mode, VFO mode, and when using Chirp software = there is no improvement or clues found in Chirp or manually checking options on the radio.   Every setting has been checked and compared to the manual,  and also compared to my other working Baofengs.  No clue. I also tried another antenna.

I am starting to think there is a bug in the Baofeng (FCC compliant) GMRS radios connecting on repeater channels??  Another user on the forum is having like repeater connection problem with a BAofeng UV5G GMRS (FCC compliant) radio.

I hope Baofeng answers with positive advice/tips.....

Program a radio to listen using the repeater input frequency and CTCSS tone.  Can you hear the other radio transmit?

If it's an antenna similar to the NA-771G, I had to sand down the inside of the antenna opening on the case to get mine to fit. There's a few videos on YouTube about it. I used a piece of sandpaper for a small sanding drum for my Dremel to open it up. It only took a couple minutes.