The Call Button: Why do we even have that lever?!

I've always wondered what the "Call" button was actually for, other than to make the radio make more annoying noise than usual.

Is it some vestigial option that used to have a purpose, but like an appendix, just hangs around for no real reason?
Or is there an actual purpose that every H/T seems to have one?

No amount of searching around has brought me closer to a satisfying answer. So I must ask:

image.thumb.jpeg.30b4d0f6aecc739d8acb32ba0899eeff.jpeg

As per the User-Manual in pretty much 100% of radios that have a Call button, the Call button is to send an annoying noise out to all other radios configured in the same 'call-group', so they know you're about to start talking to them.. Think of those old Nextel radio-phones.

It is about as useful as the 'Alarm' button on many radios.

I had some old 2001 FRS Motorola radios where, all devices configured with the same call tone could be made to vibrate when the call tone came through (even with volume off). Those were the only radios where the button potentially served a purpose other than to amuse seven year olds.

11 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

As per the User-Manual in pretty much 100% of radios that have a Call button, the Call button is to send an annoying noise out to all other radios configured in the same 'call-group', so they know you're about to start talking to them.. Think of those old Nextel radio-phones.

When I first got the Midland LXT600 FRS/GMRS HT's for use up at the lake where there's zero cell service, My wife seemed to think she HAD to push the Call button before she could talk to me out on the boat from the cabin.  I quickly explained to her she could just push the PTT and start talking...  I imagine it might be useful in very high noise environments where you may not hear people calling you, and the piercing tone would alert you?  Mostly when scanning the channels, if I hear these, it's kids playing radio.

"It is about as useful as the 'Alarm' button on many radios."

Or a Roger Beep!

Sorry, couldn't resist!

The only time I've ever legitimately used a call button was when I was trying to get my kids' attention via their handhelds.

They were at home, watching TV, and were ignoring the radio sitting right next to them. So I hit the call button on my MXT575, called for them again, and got a response.

Every other time that button has been pressed has been by accident.

I agree that they are not very useful.  We did find one benefit when setting different calls for different radios.  My kids sound a lot alike so, on one radio there is a wolf (he calls it an elephant) and the other one is a turkey (very fitting).  To be fair, they chose mine to be an "old crow" and mom's is a "cougar".   🤨