I have a Tidradio TD-H3 and it is being stupid. Or, I'm being stupid. Something is stupid.

DominoDog

Question

I have a Tidradio TD-H3 and have had it since they first came out, actually before all the cool kids started making videos about the newest best new radio that is new and sold em out everywhere.

But I had it originaly in Unlocked mode. I had amateur radio frequencies and gmrs frequencies all happily programmed into the radio.

But then I got a wild hair and said, you know what? I want this radio just for GMRS. So I rebooted it into GMRS mode.

Now when I go to program the radio, I can't transmit from my channels. I can only transmit from the main channels. If I enter another repeater on another frequency and try to use that channel, it won't let me transmit?

What garbage malarky is going on with this radio? Is it seriously trying to tell me I can only have one channel programmed per frequency per radio?

9 answers to this question

12 minutes ago, DominoDog said:

I have a Tidradio TD-H3 and have had it since they first came out, actually before all the cool kids started making videos about the newest best new radio that is new and sold em out everywhere.

But I had it originaly in Unlocked mode. I had amateur radio frequencies and gmrs frequencies all happily programmed into the radio.

But then I got a wild hair and said, you know what? I want this radio just for GMRS. So I rebooted it into GMRS mode.

Now when I go to program the radio, I can't transmit from my channels. I can only transmit from the main channels. If I enter another repeater on another frequency and try to use that channel, it won't let me transmit?

What garbage malarky is going on with this radio? Is it seriously trying to tell me I can only have one channel programmed per frequency per radio?

This is the type of thing that drives me crazy with many “gmrs” locked radios.   Eergggg.  This is also like the 10th tid radio post in the last few weeks.  The h3 and h8s seam to have issues 

id just put it back the way it was 

I can't stand it. It's got to be the stupid FCC trying to make the radios as convoluted and ridiculous as their own website. They need to take a big step back and let people self police. If we need their help we'll ask.

Back to Normal mode with this little radio. I'm done buying "GMRS" radios. I'll buy radios that can be made to work on the frequencies.

EDIT: Apologies for making another H3 post I should have done more searching but I was busy pulling my hair out.

8 minutes ago, DominoDog said:

I can't stand it. It's got to be the stupid FCC trying to make the radios as convoluted and ridiculous as their own website. They need to take a big step back and let people self police. If we need their help we'll ask.

Back to Normal mode with this little radio. I'm done buying "GMRS" radios. I'll buy radios that can be made to work on the frequencies.

EDIT: Apologies for making another H3 post I should have done more searching but I was busy pulling my hair out.

Didn’t mean to say it was in un needed post.  It’s a totally different issue that deserves a new post.   I was just pointing out these little guys seam to have issues recently.   

Well on the plus side, I can state that the radio works just fine again when I reboot it into "unlocked" mode and only load it up with GMRS information.

So as far as I care, the GMRS only version of this radio is garbage.

edit:

\/\/\/ LeoG that is not what I'm talking about. I had the radio in GMRS mode. It then should transmit on a GMRS channel if it is properly set up. Nope. Why? Because their software is dumb, on purpose, for stupid reasons.

The GMRS version of the radio is just that, a radio that will operate on those specified frequencies designated by the FCC for GMRS.  Same thing if you put it into HAM mode.  It won't be transmitting  on any out of band frequencies.

And open mode is just that.  You can transmit on frequencies that you shouldn't be transmitting on.  It's not being stupid, it's doing what it was designed to do.

2 hours ago, LeoG said:

The GMRS version of the radio is just that, a radio that will operate on those specified frequencies designated by the FCC for GMRS.  Same thing if you put it into HAM mode.  It won't be transmitting  on any out of band frequencies.

And open mode is just that.  You can transmit on frequencies that you shouldn't be transmitting on.  It's not being stupid, it's doing what it was designed to do.

The issue at I understand it isn't that it won't transmit out of band. It's that it only allows a very limited number of transmit capable GMRS channels in memory.

It's not FCC regs doing it, it's lazy software.

If I put GMRS 22 in memory slot 22, or 122, the radio should enforce the rules. Instead here it has the first 50-some-odd channels for GMRS (and it's pretty picky about what you put where), and the rest are receive only.

It's why I have mine in "Normal".

My KG-905s aren't like this. Put a GMRS channel in whatever memory slot you want and it'll enforce the rules for that frequency / pair.

But, $100 radio vs $40 radio, so, you know...

10 hours ago, amaff said:

The issue at I understand it isn't that it won't transmit out of band. It's that it only allows a very limited number of transmit capable GMRS channels in memory.

If I put GMRS 22 in memory slot 22, or 122, the radio should enforce the rules. Instead here it has the first 50-some-odd channels for GMRS (and it's pretty picky about what you put where), and the rest are receive only.

I am a new GMRS user and no HAM experience and got am H3. I found this out when I tried to add some Valid GMRS channels higher up in the channel number ranges where it won't accept them. It also seems to restrict simplex channel entries above a certain channel number. Since I am a noob I can fit all the channels I want into the restrictions they have but yes, I find it weird that the radio does not just simply enforce the GMRS rules but let you place duplicates (maybe with different codes) in any channel slot you want without restriction.

Maybe, when I get more into radio, if I get a HAM license, I will just unlock it to "normal mode" to give myself more flexibility. But yes, even a noobie GMRS user like myself noticed this ridiculous limitation. At first I just thought I was not understanding it, but No it is a restriction of the way the firmware/software on the radio works.

20 minutes ago, TrikeRadio said:

But yes, even a noobie GMRS user like myself noticed this ridiculous limitation. At first I just thought I was not understanding it, but No it is a restriction of the way the firmware/software on the radio works.

To be fair: it's not just TIDradio doing this. A LOT of 'cheap chinese radio' models are set up the exact same way. The Radioddity DB20-G I have in the truck does similar nonsense. It too is unlocked. For those radios, I just program the 'rules' manually (they won't transmit on anything out of band, all the GMRS channels have their appropriate power levels and bandwidth, etc), but that's not something most people new to this are going to want / need to fool with. But it does mean I can set the thing I bought up the way I want.

On 7/4/2024 at 1:42 AM, amaff said:

It's why I have mine in "Normal".

My KG-905s aren't like this. Put a GMRS channel in whatever memory slot you want and it'll enforce the rules for that frequency / pair.

But, $100 radio vs $40 radio, so, you know...

Well I mean there are things my $40 radio does that I wish my $140 radio did.