Able to hear my friend, but he can’t hear me?

offroadkid

Question

Yesterday it was 110° here so we put our rigs in 4LO took our friends up to elevation just under 9000’ to get to better temps.  Up at Leviathan Peak Lookout at the top of Monitor Pass it was a “pleasant” 84°!

My friend has two Motorola Talkabout MJ270R two way radios that we always use but this trip I have my new Baofeng UV-5G Plus so I wanted to use it instead.  

I asked him what channel he was on and he said, “Channel 2”.  I set it to channel 2, transmitted but he didn’t hear me.  He transmitted from his radio and I picked it up.  I looked last night on my radio to see if the frequencies were the same with the online manual I found for his radio and they are both the same frequencies for channel 2 (462.5875).

Does anyone have an idea why there was an issue hearing me?

I Googled to see if my radio works with his and it said it does.  I didn’t know how to scan from my radio and signal was spotty where we were to look it up.  I will put the user manual in the glove box for next trip!

IMG_0259.jpeg

12 answers to this question

5 minutes ago, WSCJ959 said:

I will see what I can find.  I do remember now when I asked him his channel he said 2 but he said there was also a number 4 or point 4? 🤔

Number 4 should be it. I just looked up the manual and it does not list the tones. Here is what it says. "Selecting the Interference Eliminator Code
Interference Eliminator Codes help minimize interference by
blocking transmissions from unknown sources. Your radio has 121
Interference Eliminator Codes. Codes 1 – 38 are the standard analog
codes that appear on other FRS/GMRS radios. Codes 39 – 121 are
additional digital codes added for superior interference protection.
0 is the off position, no analog or digital codes are enabled.

And "

Note: You must set the Interference Eliminator Code to 0 on a radio
that uses Interference Eliminator Codes to communicate with radios
that do not have Interference Eliminator Codes. Select 0 for “no
tone, no code” and OFF will flash on your radio’s display.

Maybe this will help.

23 minutes ago, WRQW589 said:

Do you have a squelch tone programmed on your channel 2?

Anyway, if you're using your UV5G Plus in a vehicle you probably should get an adapter and a mag mounted antenna to get the most out of the radio.

I set the squelch to what Randy @OffRoaderX suggested on his YouTube channel.  I didn’t think about the squelch possibly being the reason!

Another +1 on tones. If he has a privacy 'code' or 'tone' set up, his radios will be listening for that tone from a transmitting radio. If it doesn't receive it, his radios won't open the speaker (ok that's not really how it works, but that's the effect) and play the transmission. He can either disable the privacy code on that channel, or get what code / tone he's using and cross reference that for your radio.

OR: GIven that it's a 5G+, have him hold down his PTT button, and hit the green button on yours. IIRC that should automatically scan the channel and tones.

But yes your UV-5G+ CAN talk to any FRS or GMRS radio. They just need to be configured correctly :)

10 minutes ago, WRWE456 said:

Just looked up those Motorola's. They call them "Interference Eliminator Codes" The manual should list what they are so you can find a match.

I will see what I can find.  I do remember now when I asked him his channel he said 2 but he said there was also a number 4 or point 4? 🤔

1 minute ago, WSCJ959 said:

Yup, probably privacy tone 4.

If you don't want to do the tone scan function (tho it's useful to know how to use it regardless), I'd try setting yours up with Transmit tone 74.4

image.thumb.png.e5ab1b646e6ed7e12817ea8db011758c.png

37 minutes ago, WRXP381 said:

Tones. Your buddy has a time set.  Get him out of those FRS radios and into something better and easier to use 

Yeah I think that is a losing battle!!  He is not excited about new fun technology like me!!  😄