Tidradio tdh3

WSDK548

Question

10 answers to this question

On 7/11/2024 at 6:40 AM, WSDK548 said:

Let’s try this question with more information. I have a Tidradio TD-H3.  I’ve been given a frequency for a repeater of 462.600.  The input and output tone is 141.3Hz. 

First, your radio has 30 preprogrammed GMRS channels.  The first 22 are simplex channels, meaning they receive and transmit on the same frequency.  
Then there are eight preprogrammed repeater channels.  They may be numbered 23-30 or something with RP in the name. They receive on exactly the same frequencies as channels 15-22, but when you transmit using one of them they offset the frequency by 5 MHz.

Channel 17 receives and transmits on 462.600.

Channel 25 (or possibly 17RP or RP17) receives on 462.600and transmits on 467.600. Whatever it’s called, that’s the channel you want to use for the repeater you mentioned.  If you tune your radio to that channel you should be able to hear the repeater if someone is talking.

The input and output tones are relative to the repeater.  Your transmission is the repeater input. In order for the repeater to pay attention to your transmissions, you will also need to program the transmitter on your radio with the repeater input tone frequency.  That’s the 141.3 Hz number.

Similarly, the repeater’s output is what you receive.  If you leave the receive tone empty you will hear everything on that frequency. When you’re first getting started with programming a radio I suggest that you leave the receive tone cleared out.  Then, when you’re confident that your transmissions are being heard (activating the repeater) you can try putting in the tone.  Then, you’ll only hear transmissions that include the tone.

Hope this helps!

In GMRS, there are 22 simplex channels. 462.600 corresponds with channel 17.

In repeater terms, an input frequency is the frequency that a radio must transmit at to be received by the repeater. The output frequency is the frequency the radio must listen to, to hear the repeater's output transmission. Any transmission from a 2-way radio on the input frequency will be repeated back on the output frequency for other radios to hear, as long as the input uses the correct squelch tone.

The GMRS repeater channels pair an input frequency 5MHz higher than the output frequency. This means that simplex channels 15-22 are the same as the eight output frequencies of GMRS repeaters. Those output channels in the 462.xxxx range get paired with input frequencies in the 467.xxxx range. So 462.7000 gets paired with 467.7000. And 462.6000 gets paired with 467.6000.

Any GMRS type approved radio that can work with repeaters will automatically know the 5MHz pairing. You shouldn't have to set that part up manually. You pick RP17, or RP3 or 25R, whatever your radio calls the repeater at 462.6000. Your radio will now be listening on 462.6000, and transmitting on 467.6000. The correct name for the repeater channel at 462.6000 will be in the manual.

That's the first half of the battle. Next, you need your radio to send a tone when it transmits to the repeater. This tone is how the repeater knows you are talking to it, and not to some other repeater that happens to be on the same frequency. You must be on the correct frequency, AND you must transmit the correct tone on that frequency. The tone is inaudible to people, but is heard by the repeater. The repeater recognizes the tone, and opens squelch, meaning starts listening. Whatever a repeater listens to, it retransmits 5MHz lower.

So in your radio you need to program tone 141.3 as a Tx (transmit) tone. If you don't program this tone, the repeater won't wake up. It's that simple. As for how to program the transmit tone in a TD-H3, I won't deprive you the opportunity to look it up in the manual the method of programming 141.3 as a transmit tone. You'll find it there, and now that you know what it is for, you may be more successful in setting it.

Now you should be able to key up the radio, and state "This is WSDK548 doing a radio check. I'm looking for a signal report if anyone is monitoring." When you release the key, you'll hear a pffffft-click, which people call a "kerchunk". If you hear this, it means the radio opened squelch while you were transmitting, which means you have the correct repeater frequency and tone. If you get a response back from a person, even better.

At this point you may also notice kids playing on FRS radios on channel 17, or road crews, or whatever. That's because you only set a TX tone. You are transmitting the tone needed for the repeater to listen to you, but you are not filtering out transmissions coming back to you. You are listening "open." You may not like hearing kiddies pressing the call button and road crews letting ten more cars through the work zone. So now you need to program 141.3 as an RX tone, or an input tone. Once you've done this, things will get much quieter. You will only hear someone transmitting on 462.600 with tone 141.3. There won't be many people who just stumble into this combination, so you won't be hearing much (or any) unwanted traffic. But the repeater, when it transmits back to you or your friends, transmits that 141.3 tone. By setting that as an RX tone in your radio, your radio's squelch will open when it hears that tone, and you'll hear the repeater. ... if you're in range, if you programmed it right, if someone is hitting the repeater that you're listening to correctly.

To transmit to the repeater you need the right frequency and the right tone. If you set the wrong frequency or the wrong tone, the repeater won't listen to you.

To listen to the repeater you need the right frequency and NO tone, OR the right frequency and the right tone. If you set the wrong tone, your radio won't open squelch and you won't hear the repeater.

7 hours ago, WSDK548 said:

Let’s try this question with more information. I have a Tidradio TD-H3.  I’ve been given a frequency for a repeater of 462.600.  The input and output tone is 141.3Hz. 

SPECIFICALLY FOR THE TD-H3:

If you want to setup the preset repeater channel for 462.600 on the TD-H3... (assume that is the question) you can go to the preset channel "25" on your radio.. put in the TX and RX (menu items 11 & 13) to 141.3Hz

^^^^
That should be all you need to do... the +5 mhz should already be there.

-----
If you want to add this as a separate channel and leave the default repeater channel withoue a CTCSS ...

then you would have to manually enter everything and save to a channel that is open on your radio above 30 and below something like 50 something I think. but try the simple version above first if you are not familiar with programming a radio.

Go to channel RPT5 for 462.600/467.600Mhz

Press the blue button on the upper left, normally it will be on number 0 - bandwidth mode.

Either type in 11 or use the up arrows to get to #11, Rx CTCSS

Press the blue button again and the green caret should go down to the word OFF

Use the up arrow to advance to 141.3Hz and press the blue button again.  This sets BOTH the RX and TX CTCSS to 141.3Hz.  You will only hear the repeater this way.

If you only wish to activate the repeater and listen to all then you need to set the Rx CTCSS back to OFF

Alternately if you only wish to set the tone to activate the repeater instead of going to #11, go to #13 and set the Tx CTCSS to 141.3Hz in the same manner as before.  This way the Tx will be set and the Rx will be left OFF.

On 7/11/2024 at 6:05 AM, WRXP381 said:

Unfortunately I don’t actually see a question in the post.  I see a few stammers but no question.  What are you trying to do? What have you already done?   What is the problem? 

this is not JEOPARDY! ... I don't think they have to phrase it in the form of a question if we can figure it out on our own. 😛

21 hours ago, WRQW589 said:

In GMRS, there are 22 simplex channels. 462.600 corresponds with channel 17.

In repeater terms, an input frequency is the frequency that a radio must transmit at to be received by the repeater. The output frequency is the frequency the radio must listen to, to hear the repeater's output transmission. Any transmission from a 2-way radio on the input frequency will be repeated back on the output frequency for other radios to hear, as long as the input uses the correct squelch tone.

The GMRS repeater channels pair an input frequency 5MHz higher than the output frequency. This means that simplex channels 15-22 are the same as the eight output frequencies of GMRS repeaters. Those output channels in the 462.xxxx range get paired with input frequencies in the 467.xxxx range. So 462.7000 gets paired with 467.7000. And 462.6000 gets paired with 467.6000.

Any GMRS type approved radio that can work with repeaters will automatically know the 5MHz pairing. You shouldn't have to set that part up manually. You pick RP17, or RP3 or 25R, whatever your radio calls the repeater at 462.6000. Your radio will now be listening on 462.6000, and transmitting on 467.6000. The correct name for the repeater channel at 462.6000 will be in the manual.

That's the first half of the battle. Next, you need your radio to send a tone when it transmits to the repeater. This tone is how the repeater knows you are talking to it, and not to some other repeater that happens to be on the same frequency. You must be on the correct frequency, AND you must transmit the correct tone on that frequency. The tone is inaudible to people, but is heard by the repeater. The repeater recognizes the tone, and opens squelch, meaning starts listening. Whatever a repeater listens to, it retransmits 5MHz lower.

So in your radio you need to program tone 141.3 as a Tx (transmit) tone. If you don't program this tone, the repeater won't wake up. It's that simple. As for how to program the transmit tone in a TD-H3, I won't deprive you the opportunity to look it up in the manual the method of programming 141.3 as a transmit tone. You'll find it there, and now that you know what it is for, you may be more successful in setting it.

Now you should be able to key up the radio, and state "This is WSDK548 doing a radio check. I'm looking for a signal report if anyone is monitoring." When you release the key, you'll hear a pffffft-click, which people call a "kerchunk". If you hear this, it means the radio opened squelch while you were transmitting, which means you have the correct repeater frequency and tone. If you get a response back from a person, even better.

At this point you may also notice kids playing on FRS radios on channel 17, or road crews, or whatever. That's because you only set a TX tone. You are transmitting the tone needed for the repeater to listen to you, but you are not filtering out transmissions coming back to you. You are listening "open." You may not like hearing kiddies pressing the call button and road crews letting ten more cars through the work zone. So now you need to program 141.3 as an RX tone, or an input tone. Once you've done this, things will get much quieter. You will only hear someone transmitting on 462.600 with tone 141.3. There won't be many people who just stumble into this combination, so you won't be hearing much (or any) unwanted traffic. But the repeater, when it transmits back to you or your friends, transmits that 141.3 tone. By setting that as an RX tone in your radio, your radio's squelch will open when it hears that tone, and you'll hear the repeater. ... if you're in range, if you programmed it right, if someone is hitting the repeater that you're listening to correctly.

To transmit to the repeater you need the right frequency and the right tone. If you set the wrong frequency or the wrong tone, the repeater won't listen to you.

To listen to the repeater you need the right frequency and NO tone, OR the right frequency and the right tone. If you set the wrong tone, your radio won't open squelch and you won't hear the repeater.

Between this very helpful post (nicely detailed) and the posts from SteveShannon, TrikeRadio and LeoG, every question I had about this radio has been answered.

I am not the OP to this thread, but thank you all for the information! Very, very helpful.

2 hours ago, WRHS218 said:

I didn't see the question either (and still don't). Great response from the people that did see it though.

The OP logged in at 6:40 am yesterday and left at 6:43 am.  He didn’t explicitly ask a question and he hasn’t been back.  I responded by anticipating that he might be asking what to do with the information he had. I think most others did too.