Oak Hill/Cosumnes Repeater Net

offroadkid

Question

Good afternoon from WSCJ959 in Shingle Springs!

Every Tuesday night my local group has a Safety Net with roll call and people can ask questions about their radios.  I'm new to GMRS and can tune-in on Tuesday nights but the last two nights I tried to check-in, I don't think people are hearing me.

Oak Hill GMRS Repeater (Channel 22R - 462.725 / 467.725 - CTCSS 229.1)

I am using channel 22 but today I was thinking maybe I need to be on channel 30 on my radio which is marked as a repeater channel and has an +5 offset, (I think that is correct)?

I really need help with tones and other settings.  The group email says CTCSS 229.1

Can someone confirm that I should be using channel 30 instead?  I'm including a screenshot of my CHIRP software with some of the download channels of my radio.

image.thumb.png.dfb8525d6f9400b379e5e820ee574a2d.png

10 answers to this question

2 minutes ago, TrikeRadio said:

Yes "30" is the repeater channel for 462.725... "22" is just the simplex channel for that frequency.
add your CTCSS 229.1 tone to you channel "30"
and you should be able to hit the repeater if you have a good line of sight to it and in range.

Okay, great!  Is there a way to add CTCSS 229.1 using CHIRP?  

You should also be able to set it to HIGH instead of medium power, unless you have it set to medium for a specific reason

1 minute ago, offroadkid said:

Okay, great!  Is there a way to add CTCSS 229.1 using CHIRP?  

Yes,
if you want the CTCSS on BOTH transmit and receive you set the Tone MODE to TSQL and enter the CTCSS in "Tone Squelch"

if you only want it on transmit to hit the repeater and leave receive as "open" then set Tone Mode to TONE and enter the CTCSS in "Tone" column

13 minutes ago, TrikeRadio said:

You should also be able to set it to HIGH instead of medium power, unless you have it set to medium for a specific reason

Yes,
if you want the CTCSS on BOTH transmit and receive you set the Tone MODE to TSQL and enter the CTCSS in "Tone Squelch"

if you only want it on transmit to hit the repeater and leave receive as "open" then set Tone Mode to TONE and enter the CTCSS in "Tone" column

I was able to set it to HIGH!

I was able to switch Tone MODE to TSQL, but when I go the "Tone Squelch" it only gives me a pull down menu of numbers, I cannot choose or input CTCSS?

2 minutes ago, TrikeRadio said:

one of the options on the pulldown should match your wanted tone... they are standardized

Oh, so that's probably the 229.1 then?  

Okay, here is what I have now.  I think (with your help) I got it correct?!

D07CB0BD-6FD8-4A75-B4F5-412589F2EEAC.jpeg

7 minutes ago, TrikeRadio said:

Awesome. Looks good. Give it a try. 🙂 Enjoy

I just transmitted to see if anyone can hear me and I got 4 replies with "crystal clear!"

We are on top of a hill at 1531' elevation and I have a Baofeng UV-5G Plus with a longer antenna.