RX ok Tx not

I bought a GM-30 earlier this year and found it to be a total piece of crap.  Instead of giving you "extra" channels you could configure to your own needs as the Wouxun radios do, the GM-30 gave you a few sets of eight (repeater/50W simplex) channels and ONLY those channels.  The only channels fully configurable to your specs were the thirty standard GMRS channels.  I forget how many sets of those eight repeater/50W simplex channels it had, but one glaring glitch was that the odd numbered channels (15, 17, 19, 21) would only allow for simplex use, and the even numbered channels (16,18,20,22) would only allow their use on repeaters.  I even got the much superior RT Systems software in hopes it would allow for a work-around, but it did not. 

My guess is that your group if on a repeater is on one of those odd numbered channels, and if on simplex, is on one of the even numbered channels.  If you are trying to communicate with your group and are using the "extra" channels, try using GMRS 15 thru GMRS 22 if on simplex, and GMRS 15 Repeat thru GMRS 22 Repeat (in the first thirty channels) if trying to connect through a repeater.  I no longer have that radio, but it seems they had some crazy numbering for the repeater channels like "Repeater 1" thru "Repeater 8" or similar.  I thought FCC rules required a standard numbering system for GMRS radios.  🤷‍♂️

If you can't get it to work and you still have time, send it back and get a refund.  I waited too long to start trying to program mine and by the time I realized it was a dog, it was too late to send it back.  I did buy a Radioddity GA-510 and am generally happy with it.  It is a ham radio but fully configurable on all channels and will allow programming of FRS, GMRS, MURS, and more.

Good luck!

2 hours ago, WRYS709 said:

DR; TL: Did you happen to notice the price differential between the GM-30 and Wouxun radios?!?

Even the Baofeng UV5G has a better channel setup than the GM-30.  The UV5G allows for setting up additional channels such as repeater channels with whatever PL tones you might need or even simplex channels with whatever tones you may need in addition to the standard 30.

I get that there are some people out there in the world who will only ever use their GMRS radios to communicate simplex with one-another and some of them may actually never use the PL on their radios.  More power to them.  I find it difficult to imagine the majority of GMRS users will not at some point, either from personal curiosity or with encouragement from more technically savvy friends, decide they want to use performance enhancing features on their radios like repeaters and PL codes.  For those people, such a poorly designed radio as this will be virtually useless.

I gave mine to a GMRS newcomer who had expressed interest in buying one so he could see what he would have been getting and to save him the aggravation.

5 hours ago, RayP said:

there are some people out there in the world who will only ever use their GMRS radios to communicate simplex

This is exactly where I see the GM-30. It's a great radio for that but buyers do need to know what they are getting. I have heard somewhere on this forum that there is a fix for some of the repeater channel issues.