Programing troubles - Baofeng mp31

WSAB366

Question

I just rec'd these MP-31 radios and started playing. I can't get the software to read either radio. I've tried every Com port, on both radios, from different USB-A ports on my laptop. What could I be doing wrong? I have programmed my Anytone radios, but these are my first Baofengs. I am using the cable that came with  my Anytone 878 radios, and it still works with them, so I know the cable is good. Running windows11.show

My Anytones connect on Com3, but these only show Com4, 5, 6, & 7.

Here's what I get: (no blinking green light on any of these like I'm told should happen)

Com4 - software locks up. I have to close and reopen.

Com5 - "failure!" message comes up w/in 5sec.

Com6 - "failure!" message comes up w/in 10sec.

Com7 - software locks up. I have to close and reopen.

Anybody got an idea what I can do or what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.

Todd-

4 answers to this question

7 minutes ago, JoCoBrian said:

It's an $11 radio...

Exactly why I didn't bother programming the set I bought.  Cheap entertainment for the grandkids and if we're out in the garden at home, or in the mud on the trail, if one gets dropped, damaged, run over, whatever, no big loss!

1 hour ago, WRXB215 said:

Make sure you have snapped the connector into the radio all the way. It is very tight on my MP31 radios.

Yeah, I noticed they were on the tighter side. I hard press & jiggle all my radio connections after pulling my hair out a couple times to learn this. On these, I do get the 'new device connected' sound from the laptop, so I'm sure the connection is good. I may just uninstall/reinstall the program and try again. Thanks!