Repeater connection Issue

WSDQ264

Question

I have been trying to use the Safford Peak repeater in Arizona. It’s an open repeater with no tones and I have received permission to be on the repeater.

I have configured my radio to what I believe are the right settings but I’m not able to transmit any voice. I can hear the automatic repeater call sign and when I key the PTT I do hear the response from the repeater. I’ve tried the radio’s from a number of different location one of which was very close to the repeater. The radios are Baufeng GM-15 Pro.

I am a newbie to GMRS repeaters and I expect that it’s just a newbie dummy mistake.

Thank you any help appreciated.

4 answers to this question

If your getting the squelch tail then You are transmitting and receiving on the right frequencies.  And if that is happening then you don’t need the tones like you have already said. There are no other settings.  How do you know you’re not getting through? Do you have a friend or family member with another radio that can listen while you transmit?   How close have you actually been to the repeater?  Is your audio on high power?  What antenna are you running?   Do you have line of sight? No trees or hills or buildings in the way?   There are sooo many variables.  A hand held will get between 1/2 a mile to 40 plus miles.  Depending on all those variables.   

We’ve been testing with a couple of radios with family members, we all hear the squelch tail but no voice. I have been as close as 10 miles to the repeater and in direct line of sight out to 20 miles with some obstruction, the results have been the same. On the handheld radios the antenna is an Abbree AR771. On the vehicle it’s a midland MXT500 micro mobile with an MXTA26 antenna on top.

13 hours ago, WSDQ264 said:

I have been trying to use the Safford Peak repeater in Arizona. It’s an open repeater with no tones and I have received permission to be on the repeater.

I have configured my radio to what I believe are the right settings but I’m not able to transmit any voice. I can hear the automatic repeater call sign and when I key the PTT I do hear the response from the repeater. I’ve tried the radio’s from a number of different location one of which was very close to the repeater. The radios are Baufeng GM-15 Pro.

I am a newbie to GMRS repeaters and I expect that it’s just a newbie dummy mistake.

Thank you any help appreciated.

If you are referring to the 550 repeater near Safford, named Thatcher 550, the owner does require permission and the repeater does require an input tone. I believe is a low level site actually in Thatcher. I doubt that there will be coverage along I.S. 10.