Repeater Linking??

taco6513

I understand that this horse has taken a beating here of late. I am getting closer to getting my 2nd repeater up and running. The second repeater

has no use to me if it is not linked to my first repeater. I see that the MyGMRS Network Linking map is blank. I tried to link out but connection

failed. 

Is it possible to use the two nodes to link two repeaters together directly? or do I need a AllStar server in the mix?

Also could use RF to link, they are close enough. 

Long Live the King..

WRCW870

KI5GXD

You can link them directly with the 'mygmrs' image but you will need to edit some files to do it. 

The way the system worked when it was up had a server that housed the database for the different nodes.  That is the server that made it 'work' without the need to manually edit the files.

The specific file is rpt_extnodes_gmrs. which was in the path /var/lib/asterisk. 

Here is the format of the file.

21700=radio@66.158.37.66/21700,66.158.37.66
21701=radio@67.52.45.142/21701,67.52.45.142
21702=radio@66.158.37.66/21702,66.158.37.66
21703=radio@67.52.45.142/21703,67.52.45.142

The 217XX is the node number, then the public IP address of the node / UDP port number used. Then the IP address again.

You will need to edit that file, or create another file with that information in it so there is a whitelist and connection path to the other node you are trying to link to.  BOTH nodes will need entered into that file on both Raspberry Pi's for it to function and connect.

The reason I bring up creating another file is there is a script that runs every 10 minutes that updates that file.  I don't know if it will blank the file if the server isn't available.  I don't THINK it will but that hasn't been tested.

For more specific instructions on getting it working, you should look up information on AllStar Link.  It's the ham radio software used for lining repeaters that the system was based on.  It's been around for a long time and is well documented on the web.

There is also a different system called GMRSlive that has an image that directly allows you to configure it with this information and has a better interface for getting this going.  The myGMRS image is really meant to be automatic and as such requires a strong understanding of Asterisk and the rpt app within Asterisk to modify it to work correctly. 

Disclaimer:  What I posted here is for academic use.  Choosing to implement a system using this information on a radio service it's not allowed to be used on is YOUR choice.  I am only providing info, not telling you to break the FCC regulations regarding linking or any other FCC regulation.  I don't care what you do.  Just don't tell them I put you up to it.  Because it's your Circus and Your Monkeys.... NOT MINE.

EDIT  

BTW: I am waiting on confirmation that I can go into this topic with a full explanation of how to do this.  Once Rich says it's OK I will post it, but not before.    But what has been said here and a bit of google searching and research will get you where you need to go.