MURS Monday Night Net?

Hi!  I have a question that I have been unable to find an answer for using traditional internet searches.  An area GMRS net that I occasionally listen to lists other area and adjacent area nets.  They occasionally mention a "Monday Night MURS Net At 9 PM".  I presume this "net" (if it indeed exists) would be similar to the "GMRS/FRS Friday Night 9PM (local time) Net on FRS/GMRS Channel 19 Simplex".  Unfortunately, unlike the FRS/GMRS Net, no channel number or frequency for such is ever provided, adding to the uselessness of this information.  Does anyone know if there is such a Monday night MURS net and if so, on which channel it might occur on?

Thank You!

4 hours ago, Raybestos said:

Hi!  I have a question that I have been unable to find an answer for using traditional internet searches.  An area GMRS net that I occasionally listen to lists other area and adjacent area nets.  They occasionally mention a "Monday Night MURS Net At 9 PM".  I presume this "net" (if it indeed exists) would be similar to the "GMRS/FRS Friday Night 9PM (local time) Net on FRS/GMRS Channel 19 Simplex".  Unfortunately, unlike the FRS/GMRS Net, no channel number or frequency for such is ever provided, adding to the uselessness of this information.  Does anyone know if there is such a Monday night MURS net and if so, on which channel it might occur on?

Thank You!

It's just two channels over from the baby monitor net, one down from the Tuesday Mr Microphone Simplex group.

MURS net? That's the Walmart all hands meeting.

Sorry it was just funny. You should be able to scan for it Monday.If you don't hear it, it's because it's too far away, and MURS doesn't have repeaters. You're allowed external antennas with MURS, though, so you might try using one, and getting it as high as you can. I imagine people doing a MURS simplex net are tinkering with external antennas to see what kind of range they get. Can you get to higher ground somewhere close, like an overlook point? That may help in hearing it so you can ask the participants a few questions.

Also, if you hear it mentioned in the GMRS net, you could check in with that net and ask for more details.

Hi dosw!  LOL@ "the baby monitor net" and "Mr Microphone simplex group".

Seriously, I was just curious as to whether or not there really was such a net.  At least the guy who started the GMRS/FRS Ch 19 thing put some thought into it and, in some areas at least, it has yielded results.

While you "could" scan the five MURS channels and even call out on all five, that is unnecessarily cumbersome, even with only five channels.  I am just double checking to try and find evidence, if any, that a MURS net with a suggested meeting channel exists.  If not, I was going to suggest to the local area net that this entry be dropped from announcements as it serves no purpose.

Thank You!

1 hour ago, WRXP381 said:

Murs only has 2w and 5 channels so if you know the time and day  just monitor the 5 channels and see if you can hear them. They are going to have to be pretty close with 2w. 

True!  The same as using a FRS/GMRS ht in the terrain I live in, as far distance goes.  Please see my reply to dosw elsewhere regarding scanning/hailing on all five.

Thank You for the reply!

I’m sure it is a local thing.  There is no “national” or “regional” murs net to say it does or does not exist.  I scan several 100 Chanel’s at a time I do not think that scanning 5 channels at a specific time on a Monday would be cumbersome in any way. It would take less then 5 seconds to scroll through 5 murs channnels on Monday at say 6pm to see if any one is on.  We have an old lady here that runs an FRS simplex net for her mountain community every Sunday.  Zero evidence exist that she does this except for those that stumble upon it.   Our local repeater has a 19simplex net fridays at 9:45 am again no evidence this happens except that it does.   Nets are local and for the most part have no evidence at all that they happen.  So again if you’re interested in a local murs net jump on murs at the set time on Monday and check it out.  This is radio.   Ham guys scan and monitor multiple bands and 1000’s of frequencies.  I’d doubt they call it cumbersome.  

2 hours ago, Raybestos said:

Hi dosw!  LOL@ "the baby monitor net" and "Mr Microphone simplex group".

Seriously, I was just curious as to whether or not there really was such a net.  At least the guy who started the GMRS/FRS Ch 19 thing put some thought into it and, in some areas at least, it has yielded results.

While you "could" scan the five MURS channels and even call out on all five, that is unnecessarily cumbersome, even with only five channels.  I am just double checking to try and find evidence, if any, that a MURS net with a suggested meeting channel exists.  If not, I was going to suggest to the local area net that this entry be dropped from announcements as it serves no purpose.

Thank You!

I was setting up 2m and 70cm repeater in a radio, and while my area has a really thorough website enumerating repeaters and their locations, it was hard to know which ones have propagation useful to me, and how they're used in practice. Rather than program them all into a scanner I used an SDR to observe swaths of those bands all at once. Then as CW call signs got transmitted, or as nets occurred, 8 could see them in the waterfall while listening. It was also possible, by doing this, to see what repeaters are interconnected. If two or more show up at almost exactly the same time, you've found connected repeaters.

Anyway, I mention this because with one SDR I can see all of the 462 range. With two I can see 462 and 467. It takes two cheap SDRs to cover lower and upper MURS. SDRTrunk software can manage multiple SDRs, or running two instances of SDR++ can allow you to visualize the entire lower and upper MURS bands.

10 hours ago, Raybestos said:

Thank You!

I believe the answers you have received to date have confused the concept of:

1) What is the topic of the Net? with...

2) What Service/Band/Frequency is the Net located so that I can attempt to tune them in?

MURS does not allow for Repeaters on that service, so my guess it is that, although a Net can be Simplex (in the example to allow for the FRS'ers to join in), this MURS Net may be conducted on a GMRS Repeater for the benefit of those GMRS'ers who also MURS over a wider area of location.

Reminds me of a story I used to tell to young Interns back in the 90s who worked at my wife's Production Company that needed to learn how to operate the company's Macintosh computers when the predominant computers were PC/Windows:

My Wife came back from Italy with a VHS tape of an Italian motion picture that she wanted to remake in the USA.  Unfortunately it was encoded in the European PAL system of video and our VHS VCRs used the US NTSC system.

I took the tape to a location production services company and had them copy it over to a VHS NTSC tape.

When my wife inserted the VHS NTSC tape into our VCR started to watch it, she exclaimed: "But it is still in Italian!" 🤣