Request For TK880 Assistance

haneysa

Question

This is not so much a reply, but a request for assistance with TK-880s.

I recently bought 5 of these from ebay (supposedly trusted seller). When I power these radios up, the only thing on the disply is "TA" and "TEST". Nothing changes when I press any buttons. I do hear tones when I press buttons, but that is all. Are this radios damaged or would a kenwood tech be able to fix them? I was hoping to self-program them for GMRS. Thanks for any pointers.

2 answers to this question

This is not so much a reply, but a request for assistance with TK-880s.

I recently bought 5 of these from ebay (supposedly trusted seller). When I power these radios up, the only thing on the disply is "TA" and "TEST". Nothing changes when I press any buttons. I do hear tones when I press buttons, but that is all. Are this radios damaged or would a kenwood tech be able to fix them? I was hoping to self-program them for GMRS. Thanks for any pointers.

Occasionally when a Kenwood radio is being taken out of service and will be re-sold, a tech will clear all previous memory line programming. When powered up, "TA" (Talk Around) and  'Test'  will show up in the display UNTIL new memory programming is written to the radio through the appropriate software and certain selections are made through the software "Edit" tab and "Optional Features" drop down menu.  Let us know what the details are as listed on the ID plate on the rear of the radios (complete Model number and Version). With that info, we may be able to determine if these are programmable with the KPG49D software.

[The Staff separated this Request by 'Haneysa' from another existing TK-880 info thread, to create a separate assist discussion.]

Yep, that's right. To program them you need KPG49D software and a cable. Unless the previous owner enabled self-programming mode from the panel, which is unlikely. Programming from the panel is a major pain anyway. I have three TK-880H, two in cars and one is about to be installed in the house, they are awesome in many ways, but software is a must. I bought my radios from different sellers on different occasions, one was still programmed with sheriff dept frequencies somewhere from Louisiana, other were cleared out. I have this cable from this very seller, works just fine: "http://www.ebay.com/itm/FTDI-USB-Programming-Cable-Kenwood-RJ-12-6-pin-Microphone-KPG-4-/161251132952?hash=item258b510618:g:UGMAAOSwCfdXpnSN"