New install for FTL600, Hoffman environmental enclosure with termoelectric cooling

Logan5

Question

I took FTL600 off line last week due to my move, only to find out that I will have out of town myGMRS guest in 2 weeks. Well guest from myGMRS are second priority only to Emergency communications. So I have a lot of work to do! I spent a few days planning my new setup with my final tower in mind. So I could set my budget. so on flea-bay I found a new Hoffman 24HX24WX16D steel outdoor enclosure and a 36watt thermoelectric cooler. the seller had 199 on the box and I offered 175.00 so I feel like I got a good deal. I am going to use a 40' black olive tree to secure a mast to, should put my UVS200 6 to 8' above the average tree line. I will have room for several 19" rack style repeaters in the future. I spent a few bucks but with my long term goals all is money well spent. I would also like to obtain some LDF4-50a for the feedline, but the LMR400 will do in the meantime. picture of progress to be posted as I go.   any and all suggestions encouraged.  

I have had the 50' telescoping mast leaning into my target tree for 2 days now. so far so good. I have also placed the electronics box near the fence on cinder blocks for now. I want to keep if out of her view. I am heading to HomeDepot to get some conduit for my outlet. Should have this thing back up and running any day now. The new Comet antenna is in, but has the shortest radials I have ever seen. Shouldn't they be longer than 5 inches? I noticed during assembly that the use coax between the top elements and the bottom half, unlike the uvs200 where you have to insert a brass rod into a set screw. it is about 2X as thick fiberglass and not as floppy as the uvs200. it came in a bright white, I may consider painting it a flat grey primer color. any suggestions?

3 days now and she still hasn't said a word. I went over today to attempt to put the Comet up on the pole and 66' of LMR400, but she and her husband were doing yard work so I decided to just get everything lined up. and try tomorrow wile she is out. I also plan to run some conduit for my outdoor outlet tomorrow. Has been hotter than blazes down here and killer humidity, reminds me why I usually head for New England this time of year. 

Hmm, who is "she"? I am guessing a neighbor who will complain? But I bet she is the first one to cry when a hurricane hits and she can't call for emergencies.

yes, our contractor has caught her snooping around several times, she always claims she's looking for one of her 5 cats. He has warned her that there are open holes on the property and she could be injured, but she keeps coming over. I am about to block the seawall access.

Actually PastorGary, I am considering a Hive of European honey bees. Right where she crosses the seawall. They won't sting you, but she won't know that.

I'll have to remember that one.

Got the outdoor outlet installed this afternoon and just moved the repeater over and powered it up. The Mast is only about 40 feet tonight, but plan to raise it to 50 over the next few days. I am exhausted and need a hot bath. 

NICE!

now let see what you get out of it.

Well the condo where I am staying during construction, is only 3 miles away, but the repeater comes in on the east side of the building and the condo is on the west side. I used to have to walk to the kitchen to key it up, now I can sit on the Patio and is clear as a bell. I may drive to Miami in the next day or so, that will be the real test. However I can not even key up my local VHF Amateur radio repeater from Miami, so don't expect much past Hollywood. We shall see... 

about 51 feet to ground plane. I have to drive a stake at the bottom of the pole. when I do, I plan to raise the whole thing 1 foot off of the ground U bolted to that stake. the second support is about 20 feet up, I have the pole erected thru a limb fork that is stable and keeps the pole centered, there is no further support for the rest of the 30 feet, plus the 10 foot comet antenna at the top. yikes 

Logan, I hate to mention this, but how easy is it to take the mast down?   With a tree as part of the support, any Tropical Storm or 'Cane could rearrange things in a bad way.

Just this morrning, our TSRC software started chewing on tracking solutions for a central Atlantic system (not named yet) located at 10 north by  40 west that looks as if it has southeast to east central Florida in it's path in around 13 to 16 days or so.  Way too early to make any predictions, but I'll update in the Weather area if this developing storm becomes an INVEST or a Tropical Depression/Storm.

Yes, I have a plan to make it retractable to just below the tree canopy. I also plan to install 3 pullys to attach at the 35 to 40 foot level, This will act to stabilize it in both the fully erect position as well as the mid retracted position for storms. it is locked into the tree fork at the 20 foot level already and all connections to the tree will be strong non penetrating. not to mention the base stake, is a 10 foot channel rail driven 6 feet into the ground. I got this neato stake driver from home depot, makes short work of it. also handy to have for Emergency antenna deployment. I need to head out and do some propagation checks. but I don't feel like driving, much less in the rain. I still have much work to do, but so far so good. Thank you Pastor Gary, is nice to have the Storm updates, and your input. Thank you William and JohnE for your technical knowledge and JeremyM for the motivation to get started on this project. also a half dozen other myGMRS users for their input as well. More update and pictures to come.   

Glad I could be of assistance  :D . My better half and I received confirmation from our respective places of employment for vacation approval. The dates are in stone at this point. We will depart NW FL the morning of the 14th and should arrive around 10 hours later. We will be making our way home on the 21st or 22nd.