Clueless

Guest Tim

I recently bought a pair of Baofeng 888s for my grandson.. Until coming here today I had no idea that they were illegal for him to use.. I'm a licensed ham operator who has been out of the loop since the early 1990's.. Is there anyway to make these radios legal by programming?? I'm trying to get back into ham radio and also get my grandson interested in radio operation.. That is why I bought these ht's for him to begin with and they were really cheap for what they are capable of doing.. I have a TYT TH-7800 dual band vhf/uhf radio I just bought to get back on the air.. It is capable of transmission on public radio frequencies so I might be interested in getting the proper license.. Any info would be appreciated.. I did not see anywhere to enter my e-mail address so I assume I just have to check back often for any replies..

Once you obtain a GMRS license, you would be able to register at the main MyGMRS website and then over here at the Forum. The main site is sync'ed to the FCC database and once the license data is posted by the Commission, the MyGMRS softyware will see it and will allow your membership registration to be processed so you can join in with our members for postings. 'Guest' posts are limited in scope.

I recently bought a pair of Baofeng 888s for my grandson.. Until coming here today I had no idea that they were illegal for him to use....

Actually, depending on how you program them, they may be almost legal on FRS. You'd have to set the FRS frequencies in simplex mode and at low power. The main variance from the FRS rules would be the removable antenna. On the other hand, if you get a GMRS license, your grandson would also be covered by your license. However, since the 888 is not FCC accepted for GMRS, you would still technically be in violation of the rules.

I would not suggest you violate the rules (it is against the policy to do so on MyGMRS anyway). But, you might goggle around a bit and see what the risks are of using improper equipment are on FRS or GMRS

CURRENT FCC Rules applicable to Post # 1.

========================================================

95.335   Operation of non-certified transmitters prohibited.

Except as provided in paragraph (a) of this section, no person shall operate a transmitter in any Personal Radio Service unless it is a certified transmitter; that is, a transmitter of a type which has obtained a grant of equipment certification for that service, pursuant to part 2, subpart J of this chapter. Use of a transmitter that is not FCC-certified voids the user's authority to operate that station. See sections 302(a), (b ), and (e) of the Communications Act (47 U.S.C. 302(a), (b ), and (e )).

(a ) Exceptions. Under certain exceptions, non-certified Personal Radio Service transmitters, or transmitters certified for use in the land mobile radio services may be operated. Any such exceptions applicable to stations in a Personal Radio Service are set forth in the subpart governing that specific service. See e.g., §§95.735 and 95.1735.

(b ) Revoked or withdrawn certification. In the event that the FCC revokes or withdraws a grant of equipment certification for a type of Personal Radio Service transmitter, existing transmitters already in service may continue to be operated unless and until the FCC determines otherwise and gives Public Notice of that decision.

( c) Grantee permissible modifications. Only the grantee of the equipment certification may modify the design of a certified Personal Radio Service transmitter type, and then only pursuant to and in full compliance with the requirements and procedures for permissible changes and modifications in part 2 of this chapter. See §§2.932 and 2.1043 of this chapter.

95.1761   GMRS transmitter certification.

(a ) Each GMRS transmitter (a transmitter that operates or is intended to operate in the GMRS) must be certified in accordance with this subpart and part 2 of this chapter.

(b ) A grant of equipment certification for the GMRS will not be issued for any GMRS transmitter type that fails to comply with the applicable rules in this subpart.

(c ) No GMRS transmitter will be certified for use in the GMRS if it is equipped with a frequency capability not listed in §95.1763, unless such transmitter is also certified for use in another radio service for which the frequency is authorized and for which certification is also required. No GMRS transmitter will be certified for use in the GMRS if it is equipped with the capabilities to operate in services that do not require equipment certification, such as the Amateur Radio Service. All frequency determining circuitry (including crystals) and programming controls in each GMRS transmitter must be internal to the transmitter and must not be accessible from the exterior of the transmitter operating panel or from the exterior of the transmitter enclosure.

(d ) Effective December 27, 2017, the Commission will no longer issue a grant of equipment authorization for hand-held portable unit transmitter types under both this subpart (GMRS) and subpart B of this part (FRS).

(e ) Effective December 27, 2017, the Commission will no longer issue a grant of equipment authorization under this subpart (GMRS) for hand-held portable units if such units meet the requirements to be certified under subpart B of this part (FRS)**

.** 95.561   FRS transmitter certification.

(a ) Each FRS unit (a transmitter that operates or is intended to operate in the FRS) must be certficated for use in the FRS in accordance with this subpart and subpart J of part 2 of this chapter.

(b ) A grant of equipment certification for the FRS will not be issued for any FRS transmitter type that fails to comply with all of the applicable rules in this subpart.

(c ) A grant of equipment certification will not be issued for hand-held portable radio units capable of operating under both this subpart (FRS) and under any other subparts of this chapter (except part 15) if the application for such grant is filed on or after December 27, 2017.

Guest spd641

Actually, depending on how you program them, they may be almost legal on FRS. You'd have to set the FRS frequencies in simplex mode and at low power. The main variance from the FRS rules would be the removable antenna. On the other hand, if you get a GMRS license, your grandson would also be covered by your license. However, since the 888 is not FCC accepted for GMRS, you would still technically be in violation of the rules.

I would not suggest you violate the rules (it is against the policy to do so on MyGMRS anyway). But, you might goggle around a bit and see what the risks are of using improper equipment are on FRS or GMRS

The FCC rules stand as they are written, there is no almost legal nor technically in violation of the rules it is either illegal or not.We at mygmrs.com do not condone violating the rules nor do we suggest a search to see what the risk are according to other people's opinions.You are either legal or illegal there is no in between...William