Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRCH569

Posted 03 February 2019 - 10:10 PM

No!   :D

Now all I need is for Garmin to build a mobile GMRS/satnav combination, or to roll one myself.

#22 Susquehanna

Susquehanna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRAD459
  • Ham Callsign:KB3GNB

Posted 31 March 2019 - 06:28 PM

Garmin Rino radios have been doing so for more than 10 years. The rino's have a map on the screen. When you talk over a frs or gmrs channel your icon appears on the screen of others in your party as long as they are using the same channel. The Garmin Rino's allow you to download topographical maps and city maps. The units are expensive, with the newest models costing more than $ 600.00 each, they include realtime weather radar on screen. They allow apps to be downloaded. You can text to other users. With all of these capabilities the radios are not very good. I believe they are hindered by a poorly designed non-removable antenna. This should be fixed if the Rino moves to the licensed GMRS only and uses a better antenna. The GPS works fine and outdoes other types of portable gps units.

#23 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRCH569

Posted 01 June 2019 - 11:20 PM

Garmin Rino radios have been doing so for more than 10 years. The rino's have a map on the screen. When you talk over a frs or gmrs channel your icon appears on the screen of others in your party as long as they are using the same channel. The Garmin Rino's allow you to download topographical maps and city maps. The units are expensive, with the newest models costing more than $ 600.00 each, they include realtime weather radar on screen. They allow apps to be downloaded. You can text to other users. With all of these capabilities the radios are not very good. I believe they are hindered by a poorly designed non-removable antenna. This should be fixed if the Rino moves to the licensed GMRS only and uses a better antenna. The GPS works fine and outdoes other types of portable gps units.

The emphasis was on mobile, rather than satnav.  I'd particularly enjoy it if it was a double-DIN in-dash unit with CarPlay, but even a dash mounted display with a transceiver you could stash wherever under the dash (like a combination of a Garmin car GPS and a Midland with the handheld control head) would have me over the moon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users