berkinet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQYR510
  • Ham Callsign:WB6TAE

Posted 01 January 2019 - 08:58 PM

...Is the variable pitch for beeps and ID for the individual ID & beep or is it a one-for-all setting?

Each setting, Courtesy Beep and ID  has it's own pitch setting (in Hertz).

...Is the voice module something that records a voice or is it a computer generated voice?

From the product page (I don't own one):  This board will record and play back a 10-second voice message.

• Hans likes this

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.

-- Marcus Aurelius

#22 Hans

Hans

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • LocationTrapped in Yankee territory
  • GMRS Callsign:WQXE920
  • Ham Callsign:N8VHF

Posted 02 January 2019 - 03:00 AM

Cool. Thanks.

#23 n4gix

n4gix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQWU626
  • Ham Callsign:N4GIX

Posted 02 January 2019 - 02:28 PM

The voice message is often used to make periodic announcements of upcoming events, such as club meetings, special events, and so forth.

Alternatively, it can be used to replace a morse id such as "This is the W9LJ VHF repeater" or "You are listening to the N9IAA repeater" both of which are real announcements currently being used.
  • Hans likes this

#24 RCM

RCM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationNorth Alabama
  • GMRS Callsign:WRCM718
  • Ham Callsign:KU4FL

Posted 03 January 2019 - 10:51 AM

I built mine as a very basic controller, without the voice ID. That can be added later, if I decide I want it. But it works perfectly for what it is. It was also delivered quickly, all the parts were there, documentation was thorough and it went together without difficulty. It was also easy to program.

Most GMRS repeaters that I have heard don't even have ID nor an EOT indicator. Some don't even have a squelch tail. It can be hard to tell if you are even getting into the repeater, or if a listed repeater even actually exists in real life. I have mine programmed to ID (in Morse code) after the first transmission and (if and as long as there are subsequent transmissions) every 15 minutes until the activity is over. I also have it set to beacon every hour. This is to announce its presence to GMRS operators who might be traveling through the area. Another advantage of the beacon mode is it allows me to listen for it when I am out and about, as an aid in gauging its coverage.

The ID-O-Matic adds these features to my repeater, and makes interconnection between the receiver and transmitter used in the repeater, for less than $50 shipped. Sure you can get a controller with more features. They start at about $200 and go up rapidly. $300+ is more common for controllers that have more features than the ID-O-Matic offers.

But the radios I'm using as receiver and transmitter have PL built in, so I don't need that built into the controller. My repeater is easy for me to access, so I don't need to be able to control it remotely. Nor do I have any need nor desire to have a computer powered up and connected to it 24/7.

This little controller does everything I need it to do, and does it at a price that is not much more than those Chinese controller boxes that connect a pair of BF-888s or whatever and use VOX to control the transmit. And it's a much more serious controller than those. It's not a fair comparison to pick it apart based on the features found in a $300+ controller.

So that's my review. I give it thumbs up, and I'll probably buy at least one more of them.

• Hans likes this

#25 berkinet

berkinet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 05:36 PM

I just stumbled upon the Open Repeater Project. https://openrepeater.com.

This is a Raspberry-Pi based repeater controller that fits somewhere between the bare-bones ID-O-Matic and more "feature rich" controllers. Other than the cost of the Pi, it is free.  Control is via a built-in web server, so remote operation is available. There is a video available on the website that give a nice, though not particularly exciting, overview of the controller.

This is something I am likely to try, so I will report back.

BTW, having a Pi in your repeater setup is a nice idea anyway. Especially if you install the VirtualHere software (https://www.virtualhere.com)  which allows you to remotely connect to USB devices.  Like, for radio programming, etc.

• Hans likes this

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.

-- Marcus Aurelius

#26 quarterwave

quarterwave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationOh-io
  • GMRS Callsign:On-File

Posted 03 January 2019 - 07:12 PM

A little snippy in that response...I probably would have asked about the return policy at that point. No sense in being an A$$. 

Reminds me of a time I called a maker of a dialing device I needed to use on analog phone lines, this guy sold all kinds of niche tools and gadgets for electronics. I just wanted to know about the DTMF timing and pauses. He began yelling at me on the phone, and said that if I was so dumb that I didn't know what I was buying then he wasn't going to sell it to me. I advised him that I worked for a telephone carrier and I just needed to know about something that wasn't in the specs. It wasn't some gray area device, it was just a device. I basically ended up telling him there was no way our company would ever do business with someone that acted like him, and I hung up. 

Checked the internet...yep, he couldn't have sold much, or had any repeat business. Bad reputation. I don't know why people think they can act that way and still be in business. 

• Hans likes this

#27 berkinet

berkinet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 12:48 AM

I just stumbled upon the Open Repeater Project. https://openrepeater.com.

... ...

This is something I am likely to try, so I will report back.

I think I may have spoken/posted too soon. Turns out you need more than just the Pi to make this work... Like around another $60 to several hundred dollars more depending on your needs.  Yes, if you have the abilities and time you can DIY, but the instructions are not very precise.  Still probably a good deal for somewhere around $100 for a mid-level controller. But, more than I'd spend just for grins.

• Hans likes this

-- Marcus Aurelius

#28 RCM

RCM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • LocationNorth Alabama
  • GMRS Callsign:WRCM718
  • Ham Callsign:KU4FL

Posted 04 January 2019 - 04:51 AM

I think I may have spoken/posted too soon. Turns out you need more than just the Pi to make this work... Like around another $60 to several hundred dollars more depending on your needs.  Yes, if you have the abilities and time you can DIY, but the instructions are not very precise.  Still probably a good deal for somewhere around $100 for a mid-level controller. But, more than I'd spend just for grins.

I looked at the open repeater before I bought the IDOM.

ICS does offer a basic controller that is similar to the IDOM, for $60. https://ics-ctrl.com/Details/2

#29 berkinet

berkinet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 01:11 PM

I looked at the open repeater before I bought the IDOM.

ICS does offer a basic controller that is similar to the IDOM, for $60. https://ics-ctrl.com/Details/2

Yes. That is the (minimum) $60 cost I was referring to. That is in addition to the cost of the Pi, so figure another $35 and you are just over $100.

I also learned a bit more about the ORP (Open Repeater Project).  It is essentially a web based front to SvxLink  - a project that develops software targeting the ham radio community.

-- Marcus Aurelius

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: repeater, controller, kit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users