ID-O-Matic IV

RCM

A little snippy in that response...I probably would have asked about the return policy at that point. No sense in being an A$$. 

Reminds me of a time I called a maker of a dialing device I needed to use on analog phone lines, this guy sold all kinds of niche tools and gadgets for electronics. I just wanted to know about the DTMF timing and pauses. He began yelling at me on the phone, and said that if I was so dumb that I didn't know what I was buying then he wasn't going to sell it to me. I advised him that I worked for a telephone carrier and I just needed to know about something that wasn't in the specs. It wasn't some gray area device, it was just a device. I basically ended up telling him there was no way our company would ever do business with someone that acted like him, and I hung up. 

Checked the internet...yep, he couldn't have sold much, or had any repeat business. Bad reputation. I don't know why people think they can act that way and still be in business. 

I just stumbled upon the Open Repeater Project. https://openrepeater.com.

... ...

This is something I am likely to try, so I will report back.

I think I may have spoken/posted too soon. Turns out you need more than just the Pi to make this work... Like around another $60 to several hundred dollars more depending on your needs.  Yes, if you have the abilities and time you can DIY, but the instructions are not very precise.  Still probably a good deal for somewhere around $100 for a mid-level controller. But, more than I'd spend just for grins.

I think I may have spoken/posted too soon. Turns out you need more than just the Pi to make this work... Like around another $60 to several hundred dollars more depending on your needs.  Yes, if you have the abilities and time you can DIY, but the instructions are not very precise.  Still probably a good deal for somewhere around $100 for a mid-level controller. But, more than I'd spend just for grins.

I looked at the open repeater before I bought the IDOM.

ICS does offer a basic controller that is similar to the IDOM, for $60. https://ics-ctrl.com/Details/2

I looked at the open repeater before I bought the IDOM.

ICS does offer a basic controller that is similar to the IDOM, for $60. https://ics-ctrl.com/Details/2

Yes. That is the (minimum) $60 cost I was referring to. That is in addition to the cost of the Pi, so figure another $35 and you are just over $100.

I also learned a bit more about the ORP (Open Repeater Project).  It is essentially a web based front to SvxLink  - a project that develops software targeting the ham radio community.

• 1 year later...

weird question here on a subject thats above me so I'm hoping some folks on here can help...

I have 2 maxtrac 100's setup using an adrino uno based controller with a ct, a few seconds hang time, and a 60sec tot.  and thats it.  the radios are programed to tx and rx a 100 pl tone.  this arduino has some serious software glitches which sometimes causes the tx to hang with no COR unitl the TOT resets it and sometimes it wont play the CT...  and honestly i may have a comma or something in the wrong place in the file thats making it act that way i dont know I'm done trying to get it to work right.

so...  I'm going to be changing to an id o matic 4 but one thing i don't like about my current setup is I have a few cheap chinese portables (H777) that access the machine and these things dont pick up a 180deg or 120deg reverse burst so theres always a static crash when the machine drops.

Since to the idomatic 4 "passes" the audio from one radio to the next without processing it I'm wondering if i could program the tx radio to not have any tone but leave the 100 pl on the rx radio and maybe the pl tone will pass through and be retransmited through the tx radio ??

essentially, I'm wondering if the PL tone transmitted by one portable will pass through the machine with the idomatic4 and be sent out to be picked up by the receiving portable without being "filtered out" by the controller.  assuming that would be possible I should be able to easily eliminate the squelch tail by having a 4-6sec hang time but no tone on the tx radio itself...  and maybe still be able to hear a CT if the delay is super short and its just a 600hz cw T or E or something like that...  I'm guessing it would take the Chinese portable at least 1 full second to figure out there's no PL on the carrier anymore and close down the audio.

any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated,

thanks much !!

- bill 

• 1 year later...

hey everybody,

i just put a GMRS repeater here in my small town on the air a week or so ago.. i'm using a Motorola M10 for the receiver and a GM300 for the transmitter at 25 watts.. whenever me and my mom is testing it here town talking locally with portables it will ID in morse code it sounds awful im not sure if i got the right settings on the ID-O-MATIC IV...Other than that the repeater works good for what i'm using it for.. 

73 from Todd KC0CCB / WRKH774

7 hours ago, wqnj790 said:

hey everybody,

i just put a GMRS repeater here in my small town on the air a week or so ago.. i'm using a Motorola M10 for the receiver and a GM300 for the transmitter at 25 watts.. whenever me and my mom is testing it here town talking locally with portables it will ID in morse code it sounds awful im not sure if i got the right settings on the ID-O-MATIC IV...Other than that the repeater works good for what i'm using it for.. 

73 from Todd KC0CCB / WRKH774

Here's a link to the manual. Disclosure: I've never used an ID-O-Matic, but sounds like you've got the deviation set too high on the CWID.

https://radiodan.com/idom3/ID-O-MATIC IV-20140527.pdf

• 1 year later...

So I've seen quite a few good reviews on here of RadioDan's service and I've seen some bad reviews.

Well, I have a glowing review of RadioDan's service!

I ordered the IDOM IV board (assembled), a voice board, and a couple interface cables last night. Unfortunately, his site indicated they were out of the fan relay boards, so I was unable to order one of those. After submitting my order, I sent an email to him inquiring if he has a waiting list or backorder list. He replied within an hour stating that he has plenty of them in stock he had recently received but had forgotten to update the website indicating such. He then PayPal invoiced me for one so it could be added to my existing order without increasing the shipping cost.

OUTSTANDING!!!