• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Former-Member

Former-Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 01:52 PM

if I am listening to an FRS channel and I hear my neighbors talking, but they are using a "tone" so that they dont hear me, is that a Transmit tone, or a Receiving tone that is blocking them from hearing me?

So.. if I am listening to them and I want to use my radio to scan for their tone to program it into my radio so they can hear me, what am i scanning for? R-CTSS or T-CTSS ?

#2 WRDT916

WRDT916

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRDT916
  • Ham Callsign:K8HIT

Posted 24 July 2019 - 02:18 PM

It sounds like they have a tone set on both transmit and receive.

For you to join their conversations all radios must be programmed with the same tomes.

I think your radio doesn't have any tones enabled, so you can hear everything. Neighbors probably have both transmit and receive programmed.

Without knowing make/model of all radios involved I can't help with second half of your question.

73 Dave

GMRS: WRDT916

ham: K8HIT

#3 Former-Member

Former-Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 02:38 PM

ok, thanks, that gives me a starting point at least.

#4 WRAK968

WRAK968

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRAK968
  • Ham Callsign:KC2YQW

Posted 24 July 2019 - 04:41 PM

An easier solution would be to just ask the neighbor what tones are being used. They could tell you if they are using the same tone for RX/TX, or if its a split tone for a repeater (Ex, 141.3 RX 67.5 TX) Some people use a split tone to prevent unauthorized access to the repeater itself.

• TonyAldo likes this

#5 Former-Member

Former-Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 24 July 2019 - 07:38 PM

An easier solution would be to just ask the neighbor what tones are being used. They could tell you if they are using the same tone for RX/TX, or if its a split tone for a repeater (Ex, 141.3 RX 67.5 TX) Some people use a split tone to prevent unauthorized access to the repeater itself.

Well that would be too easy, and take all the challenge out of it.. besides, I think that most people using these little hand-held bubble-wrap radios would have absolutely no clue what a tone is..

#6 quarterwave

quarterwave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts
  • LocationOh-io
  • GMRS Callsign:KAF4073
  • Ham Callsign:K8MLO

Posted 26 July 2019 - 02:26 PM

Most of them use FRS Channel 1 Tone 1 and believe they are on a completely "private" channel. 

• WRAM373 - Richard and Former-Member like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ctss, frs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users