question about Transmit/Receive PL Tones/CTSS/CG, etc

OffRoaderX

Question

if I am listening to an FRS channel and I hear my neighbors talking, but they are using a "tone" so that they dont hear me, is that a Transmit tone, or a Receiving tone that is blocking them from hearing me?

So.. if I am listening to them and I want to use my radio to scan for their tone to program it into my radio so they can hear me, what am i scanning for? R-CTSS or T-CTSS ?

5 answers to this question

It sounds like they have a tone set on both transmit and receive.

For you to join their conversations all radios must be programmed with the same tomes.

I think your radio doesn't have any tones enabled, so you can hear everything. Neighbors probably have both transmit and receive programmed.

Without knowing make/model of all radios involved I can't help with second half of your question.

An easier solution would be to just ask the neighbor what tones are being used. They could tell you if they are using the same tone for RX/TX, or if its a split tone for a repeater (Ex, 141.3 RX 67.5 TX) Some people use a split tone to prevent unauthorized access to the repeater itself.

Well that would be too easy, and take all the challenge out of it.. besides, I think that most people using these little hand-held bubble-wrap radios would have absolutely no clue what a tone is..