Kenwood Handhelds TK3180 advice

nyc787

These radios have 90 day warranty and guaranteed to work properly.  Programming was free with the purchase so a no-brainer.  I already knew what I wanted - channels and repeaters, having bought a new Wouxun 805G HT and programmed that.  So it was a matter of sending the vendor the spreadsheet for them to program.

I do intend to get the software & cable for future use on the Kenwoods if needed.  Have links for that.  Ya, from what I gather here, the Kenwood is less painful for programming compared to Motorola, as you say.  Lots of help from fellow myGMRS members choosing the radios I ended up with.  3170 for the Li battery and a bit smaller size than some HT.

Both Kenwood HT and mobile will arrive tomorrow.  Have a leg up on the installation into my side-by-side already, got the antenna and NMO with cable so need to route and get the antenna on the kayak rack.  The pickup install will be next (a different thread).

I do want to get an SWR/Pwr meter but not break the bank.  It will be for initial setup/test and little more than that.  Could have gotten my hands on a Bird some years ago (decommissioned and sent away).. sure wish I'd done that.  Complete with 460-ish pucks.

You can down load the Kenwood programming software for your radio from the location below:

http://www.radioscanner.ru/files/kenwood/file8416/

The download link is near the top of the page. The file you want is "kpg101d.zip"

The zip file should also have the license key you need to enable the software install. I have it running on Win 10 Home. I used this software to load a test code plug in to a used TK-2170 I picked up.

The radio uses the Baofeng type programming cables. If you buy one make sure it doesn't have a fake "Prolific" serial to USB chip in it. This site has the info about the cables:

http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_GettingStarted.php

Sooner or later you are going to want to make changes or load the code plug up into another TK-3170. No point in paying somebody when you can do it yourself.

Thanks for that.  Ordered FTDI cables from bluemax49ers for both TK3170 and TK880.  

Did I read on the forum that the software for the 3170 is the same as for the TK880?  Not finding that post but will continue searching.

Downloaded the software as well.  Is the license key the box that pops up asking for name, company and S/N (is that Kenwood S/N?)?

Forgive my ignorance, but is all I need to do is double click Setup, fill in that form and rock on?  I quit before filling in the form since the radio is out in the shop.

I'm awful good at not getting software type stuff right first try...

Kenwood KPG-49D RSS Programming Software from Hamflies.

Version 4.20 for Windows

• 2 weeks later...

For TK-3170 you need KPG-101D.

First try with the KPG-101D software and FTDI cable for 3170.  Drivers loaded fine so I brought up the software "Setup"  (RUN) and it gives me a form to fill in.

User Name:

Company Name:

Serial Number:

Filled it in with my name, my company name and 3170 S/N from under the battery.

"Sorry your license ID is incorrect".  ??  Is there default info to pop this form?

ANSWER: Found it (the License ID) in the .zip file under "serial" - "Text Document".  Copy/Paste into the form with:

Name:  motorola

Company name: motorola

S/N:  101xxxx

.. and successfully performed my 1st programming function by changing the AUX button from OST to LAMP (I had no backlight).

Now I have to figure out if I want to add more channels (as in 15 - 22 for Simplex - or just try Talk Around on the repeater channels?)

P.S.  I'd delete this post due to chagrin but leaving it up for the next guy who might search and find an answer.

Thanks.