Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationNorth Alabama
  • GMRS Callsign:WRCM718
  • Ham Callsign:KU4FL

Posted 14 December 2019 - 12:30 AM

I appreciate the help I've received. However, I'm still having problems. When I plug in the cable I get the message "USB serial controller pending". I never get past this. When I run the program, I get the message "cannot load data file". I also can't determine what com port the cable is using.

I realize these problems may be user error. I've been wrestling with this for about a week.

Please (continue to) help.

Thanks.

What cable do you have, and what version of Windows are you running?

You are using the Version 4.02 software linked above, correct?

#22 DeoVindice

DeoVindice

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WREC548

Posted 14 December 2019 - 09:22 AM

WREM441, if you open Device Manager on your PC, the USB cable will show up, and indicate what COM port it is using. You can switch the cable's COM port in the cable's settings quite easily. You may need to manually install the cable's drivers if it's not showing up properly in Device Manager.
  • RCM likes this

Admitted Kenwood fanboy and accumulator of public safety radios

#23 WREM441

WREM441

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WREM441
  • Ham Callsign:KF4AQO

Posted 16 December 2019 - 09:45 PM

What cable do you have, - Maxton Data

and what version of Windows are you running- XP

You are using the Version 4.02 software linked above, correct- Correct

Also - 

Device Manager on your PC, the USB cable will show up - it does show up - not drivers are installed - therefore I do not see any cable settings

The programing software has 2 choices for com ports 1 and 2.

I'm not giving up.

#24 WRAK968

WRAK968

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRAK968
  • Ham Callsign:KC2YQW

Posted 17 December 2019 - 07:44 AM

You will need to install the USB drivers if you are using a USB-RS232 converter. Each converter is different. Likewise, if you purchased a USB cable there is likely a built in USB-seriel converter built in, youll need to contact the person who sold it to you for advice on where to find the drivers

#25 RCM

RCM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationNorth Alabama
  • GMRS Callsign:WRCM718
  • Ham Callsign:KU4FL

Posted 17 December 2019 - 07:45 AM

You are using the Version 4.02 software linked above, correct- Correct

Also - 

Device Manager on your PC, the USB cable will show up - it does show up - not drivers are installed - therefore I do not see any cable settings

I'm not giving up.

I've heard of some issues with some cables. Maxton should be a good one, though. That appears to be what KJ6ZWL (Blue Max 49ers) sells.

I would probably ask the seller about the driver issue. Mine works fine with Windows 10, but XP should be even more compatible.

#26 berkinet

berkinet

Senior expert on absolutely nothing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQYR510
  • Ham Callsign:WB6TAE

Posted 17 December 2019 - 08:03 AM

... ...
Device Manager on your PC, the USB cable will show up -it does show up - not drivers are installed - therefore I do not see any cable settings

I think you wanted to say: no drivers are installed If that is the case, you can find the drivers on Maxton's web site.
Once you have the drivers installed you should be able to edit the device in the Device Manager and select the appropriate COM port. You would need to set it to 1 or 2, and then make the corollary change in the programming software.

OTOH, maybe you do not actually have a Maxton cable. The 2 most common USB chip sets are FTDI and Prolific. FTDI drivers are available from their web site. Prolific drivers are also available, but because that chipset is commonly forged, the Prolific drivers may not actually work if your cable uses forged chips.

You can determine the actual chip set in use through the Device Manager. What you want to look for are the Vendor ID and Product ID. They will probably be shown as 2 digit hex numbers. Like a9ac. For more information and specific instructions for Windows, see this web page.
  • kipandlee and RCM like this

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.

-- Marcus Aurelius

#27 kipandlee

kipandlee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 09:07 AM

I can confirm the   Maxton Data cables work well mine has the prolific chipset the link that berkinet provided is what is needed for those cables 

• RCM likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: programming, TK800, programming cable

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users