Kenwood TK-863G

SP657

Question

Good morning all.....

I have a few questions about the Kenwood TK-880 and the TK-863

First off is the TK-880 part 95 complaint?

is the TK-863 part 95 complaint?

2nd is I have a TK-863G and I programmed it myself, however it stays in scan mode all the time....

even if the scan button (icon) is not pressed.

also the scan add/delete when pressed adds or deletes all channels with one press....

My TK-880 don't scan unless you press the scan button and the (SCN) icon appears, further more the scan add/delete button places a scan icon beside the channel you add/ delete from the list.........

Why is my TK-863G acting so stupid?????

any help would be great....

6 answers to this question

Ok, to start off with Part 95,

The FCC has offered tools to the public to be able to get this info.
https://www.fcc.gov/oet/ea/fccid
Click the link and add in the radios FCC ID.
Example, Kenwoods Grantee code is ALH and the TK880's product code is 24593110.
Click search,

You'll see there is only one grant, if there were more, you would have to match the data displayed to your radios specs. Since there is only 1 grant, click on the check mark under "Display Grant"

Here we have a simple sheet from the FCC, and under FCC Rules Part, we can see that the TK880 is Part 22, 74, 90, and 95 certified for both transmission modes (Wide and narrow)

So now we know the TK880 is part 95 certified and we know how to look up the certification of other radios if we ever want to :)

Now for the scan issue. I've never used the 863, but doing a little research, the only scan mode that doesn't "Autoscan" is "List type system scan" It would seem the other mode/s will force the radio into scan. Kenwood redesigned the scan feature on this particular radio and it seems like a lot of people didn't really like it. (Also someone says the 863 is purely a trunking radio and stuck like that, which is why conventional users have such a hard time with it)

Heres the link to the info I found on the radio, not sure if it'll help but,
https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/tk-863g-scanning-problems.354047/

Newsflash (at least to me) -- Kenwood has at least one other Grantee Code: K44. TK-8180H, TK-8160, NXR-800K, NX-800H, etc are under that Grantee Code. 

Also, it seems like if you search for Part 95 vs. 95A you'll get different results. Some were submitted under plain ol' 95 and some have the subpart code. With the latest Part 95 rules, GMRS is actually Subpart E now. So older equipment will have legacy Subpart A certification but new grants and Class II Permissive Changes will be under 95E going forward.

Yay, confusion!  :rolleyes:

Newsflash (at least to me) -- Kenwood has at least one other Grantee Code: K44. TK-8180H, TK-8160, NXR-800K, NX-800H, etc are under that Grantee Code. 

Also, it seems like if you search for Part 95 vs. 95A you'll get different results. Some were submitted under plain ol' 95 and some have the subpart code. With the latest Part 95 rules, GMRS is actually Subpart E now. So older equipment will have legacy Subpart A certification but new grants and Class II Permissive Changes will be under 95E going forward.

Yay, confusion!  :rolleyes:

I totally forgot they got a second grantee code. DOH!

As for part 95, if I recall if the radio was part 95 for gmrs  before the rule change the radio is grandfathered to part 95E otherwise most of the older GMRS equipment including repeaters are no longer and never will be legal for GMRS use.

"Now for the scan issue. I've never used the 863, but doing a little research, the only scan mode that doesn't "Autoscan" is "List type system scan" It would seem the other mode/s will force the radio into scan. Kenwood redesigned the scan feature on this particular radio and it seems like a lot of people didn't really like it. (Also someone says the 863 is purely a trunking radio and stuck like that, which is why conventional users have such a hard time with it)"

Weeks of deciding whether to go 880 or 863 (recommended by used-radios).  Reading the above quote sends me right to the 880 as my choice.  I'm a "conventional" user, not interested in snags in programming, etc.  Thanks for posting this information.  Amazing how much I overlook on first read of threads.

Weeks of deciding whether to go 880 or 863 (recommended by used-radios).  Reading the above quote sends me right to the 880 as my choice.  I'm a "conventional" user, not interested in snags in programming, etc.  Thanks for posting this information.  Amazing how much I overlook on first read of threads.

I have to agree with you on the trunking radios.  I have two TK-885 units that are the trunking version of the 880.  They are a nasty radio to program into conventional mode,  They do work, but I can't get them to scan.  Also, the conventional mode is limited to 36 channels on the 885.  I'm not sure on the 863.  I have a couple of 862 units, which are conventional.