#41 scottmckinney67

scottmckinney67

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRFA849

Posted 08 April 2020 - 01:26 PM

I use Googe Earth for bearing, distance and it will give an elevation profile which is great for line of site issues. While I like the jack of all trades antenna concept, your single band yagi will perform much better and its much smaller.  I plan on using a better GMRS only omni antenna at home (currently using a copper j-pole). For radios, looking for a couple mobiles.

I've been using this for simple line of sight.  https://www.scadacor...-line-of-sight/   I like it.  I'm sure the gmrs yagi is the way to go, I was just trying to save some time and money finding a dual band.  The tram showed pretty low SWR for gmrs frequencies but the performance on gmrs is so so, I think.  I did try to hit a standard uhf repeater in the area and was able to hit one about 25 miles away with it.  If it stays sealed up, I think it's a keeper for a standard dual band omni.

• Logan5 likes this

#42 scottmckinney67

scottmckinney67

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 08 April 2020 - 08:25 PM

Update.  Installed yagis on both ends.  We can understand every word on every channel now.  Next phase, raising both by 6 feet and make sure the aim from mine is good.  I was actually out on the roof in my underwear re-aiming it just now haha.  I did the map aim and drew a straight line but didn't have a vantage point for beyond my house, garage roof mount on existing dish antenna j mount with a piece of toprail that probably barely clears the apex of the main roof, and it may not, didn't get on main roof to look.  I think I'm close to aimed but I don't think I can get much improvement with a little more height.

Stay tuned  :)

• Logan5 and Soladaddy like this

#43 Logan5

Logan5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • LocationFort Lauderdale Florida
  • GMRS Callsign:WQQT630
  • Ham Callsign:KK4PRC

Posted 08 April 2020 - 10:07 PM

I've been using this for simple line of sight.  https://www.scadacor...-line-of-sight/   I like it.  I'm sure the gmrs yagi is the way to go, I was just trying to save some time and money finding a dual band.  The tram showed pretty low SWR for gmrs frequencies but the performance on gmrs is so so, I think.  I did try to hit a standard uhf repeater in the area and was able to hit one about 25 miles away with it.  If it stays sealed up, I think it's a keeper for a standard dual band omni.

Thank you sir. I love it.

#44 Soladaddy

Soladaddy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL
  • GMRS Callsign:WRAP***
  • Ham Callsign:KG4***

Posted 09 April 2020 - 06:52 PM

That is a nice app. Congrats, you have the radio bug. With most systems, the antenna and feedline are to most important and even more so with UHF. This makes me want to buy some LRM400.

#45 gman1971

gman1971

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 11 April 2020 - 10:15 PM

Works if you're a "flat earther" as it doesn't seem to take into account Earth's curvature, nor the 4/3rds of Earth curvature for radio waves propagation, etc. Radio Mobile Online seems to be a better free option, JMHO.

According to the app, the Madison WI, Candelabra tower @ 330 meters tall  (~1400 feet) has "line of sight" down to Chicago...  and a 1 km tower in the same place should have line-of-sight all the way to Spain, from Madison WI... not sure if that's right... LOL

G.

#46 scottmckinney67

scottmckinney67

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 13 April 2020 - 08:58 AM

Works if you're a "flat earther" as it doesn't seem to take into account Earth's curvature, nor the 4/3rds of Earth curvature for radio waves propagation, etc. Radio Mobile Online seems to be a better free option, JMHO.

According to the app, the Madison WI, Candelabra tower @ 330 meters tall  (~1400 feet) has "line of sight" down to Chicago...  and a 1 km tower in the same place should have line-of-sight all the way to Spain, from Madison WI... not sure if that's right... LOL

G.

Thanks for the info.  It at least got me in the ballpark.  

#47 russwbrill

russwbrill

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 01:53 AM

Thanks for the responses guys.  What about an omni 70cm/2M that would have a decent SWR on GMRS frequencies?  If I got a taller omni on my end, and could possibly raise his whip some, think that would work.  I don't plan on GMRS being our band of choice but it's what we're licensed for at this point.

Unfortunately, you really need a Mono-band antenna to get the most out of your height restricted situation. Hustler makes the G-6 ( Model G6-450-3 ) UHF Omni-directional antenna with 6 dbd of gain, If you can install the G-6 at your place, you might make up for the other stations lack of height above ground.. Also, low loss coax like LMR-400U and N-Connectors can go a long way in reducing signal loss..

Note: I noticed (after this post, duh..) in an earlier post you have installed a set of Yagi antennas to solve your problem. However, if you can accomplish the same results with a better Omni and better coax, you'll start to hear what you're missing with directional antennas.. Just my 2 cents...

Russ

#48 scottmckinney67

scottmckinney67

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 06:52 AM

Unfortunately, you really need a Mono-band antenna to get the most out of your height restricted situation. Hustler makes the G-6 ( Model G6-450-3 ) UHF Omni-directional antenna with 6 dbd of gain, If you can install the G-6 at your place, you might make up for the other stations lack of height above ground.. Also, low loss coax like LMR-400U and N-Connectors can go a long way in reducing signal loss..

Note: I noticed (after this post, duh..) in an earlier post you have installed a set of Yagi antennas to solve your problem. However, if you can accomplish the same results with a better Omni and better coax, you'll start to hear what you're missing with directional antennas.. Just my 2 cents...

Russ

We're still tweaking.  My antenna is approximately 27 feet off the ground.  His around 15.  He can hear me perfectly with very little noise.  I can hear him legibly but with a good deal of noise.  Going to raise his another 6 feet and verify the aim of my yagi, then probably call it a day with the GMRS setup.  Nice thing is, we've found another GMRS buddy and can talk simplex so that's encouraging.  We both hit him.   We're getting tech licenses and will switch back to omni's on both sides and probably go VHF.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)