Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:ask.
  • Ham Callsign:ask.

Posted 10 February 2015 - 11:33 PM

I know this thread is a little old but I just wanted to say that I just purchased on of these repeaters. 

(some of you have been following my repeater build with my two kenwood radios, I am still going to build that as a learning experience and then decide what to do with everything later, i just could not pass up what I believed to be a great deal for this repeater, at home, low usage, low RF area (my roof) and possiblly portable for camping trips which I've always wanted to be able to do.)

The guy I am buying from is programming and tuning the duplexer it for me, his brother is a M tech, so that's pretty good news.   It comes with the standard controler with roger beep and hang time and CWID.  Okay, so what I'm trying to find out is does anyone know more about the basic controler, if the roger beeps are programmable to something custom, it would be annoying to hear "beep!" every time (I prefer the soft sounding "boop" at the end and a few seconds of hang time).  

So I was thinking, as a next step, I would look into 3rd party controlers for this unit.  That's what I'm trying to find out more about.  (the manual is no where to be found online)  So i'm trying to find out, what are the features of the basic controler, such as what options for beep, hang time, ID intervel, can i set the ID to only ID during active use and then shut up and be quiet while the repeater is not being used, etc.   Then what controlers will work with it?  Any?  Can i just use my exsisting elektra 2000 controler if i just make a custom cable and tell the software that its using an external controler?    To be specific in my question, is it limited to ONLY a speical kind of controler(s) or can it be any controler.   If i can some day intergrate (with a custom cable) my elektra 2000, I can then have the Voice ID and custom tones and beeps that I like.   

The main points I have understood from this thread and other threads is to run it low power (I dont think i need more than 10w) and watch out for cold soder joints on the Power Amp.  Also the power supply might go bad some day. ...and this is great for low duty.    ....and if i ever want to put it up somewhere with other radio gear, i'll have to get a better notch filter / duplexer and maybe run it low into a seperate PA.  I dont see that happening anytime soon but its what I understand.

Over the summer, I might want to look at running it off 12v battery as DIY.   I know there is a kit from M that will allow the unit to kick over to DC when the AC is gone, but I'm not looking for that.  I will run it AC at home, or DC in the field on batteries and solar, by passing the AC power supply.  However that's like 3 or 4 steps ahead of where i'm at if you know what i mean. i'm just shareing my thouhgts for the future use.  

At this point, I just want to get it set up and start testing the coverage area around my home.   

Sussex County, New Jersey.

I'm building a home DIY repeater system w Kenwood TK-880 & Elektra 2000

Comet CA-712EFC  + (Ed Fong PVC Jpole)

Baofeng UV-5R, 888S

Motorola GR1225 Repeater - EX600XLS

#22 kb2ztx

kb2ztx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • LocationEast Coast
  • GMRS Callsign:WQLY948
  • Ham Callsign:KB2ZTX

Posted 11 February 2015 - 07:51 AM

There is a few controllers that came as options with the 1225. The basic internal controller is the best i have found. I have mine set for ID only and they work fine. There was a Zetron controller that many added to give phone interconnect and other features. Personally unless you need a special feature stick with the basic programming. Using the internal controller is the best. To change to an external controller you need to reprogram it for external control. 

#23 zap

zap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQRH471
  • Ham Callsign:W5PKY

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:13 AM

From what I remember of the GR300/500 controllers (minus the RICK which doesn't have internal ID capability) the courtesy beep can be set from 300-3000 Hz if it's used. What I don't remember is whether or not that beep can be sent with PL disabled. 

What a lot of guys will do here locally (amatuer or GMRS) in conversions is use an aftermarket tone board, not run the audio through the tone board filters (to strip the PL) so it just pushes it out the transmitter. When the repeater ID's or gives a courtesy tone it doesn't have a PL encode so it won't open squelch unless your radio is operating in CSQ or you have a Motorola with the microphone out of the hanger.

I think in a bunch of the Motorola controllers it can be set...I just don't know how to do it.

#24 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:36 AM

...When the repeater ID's or gives a courtesy tone it doesn't have a PL encode so it won't open squelch unless your radio is operating in CSQ or you have a Motorola with the microphone out of the hanger....

that is an awesome idea..... i wonder if the unit can do that with the standard controler and not the after market tone generator, decoder, etc.

The guy is programming it this week, i should have it next week.  i asked him to have ch1 on the radio as my GMRS frequency (575 in this case) low power, and then ch2 on the radio, the same settings but high power.   for tones, i asked for PL on the in and a different PL on the out for extra privacy.   i will ID when i use it, at this point, its gonna run at home, so i'll be the only one using it.    i'll get a programming cable and dig for the software and then later i can enable the ID and other options.

Baofeng UV-5R, 888S

#25 zap

zap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:45 AM

Should be able to strip PL from the ID. It's a common function on modern Moto radios (nearly all of them either have a dedicated PL defeat pin or a assignable on the accessory connector).

#26 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:53 PM

if anyone is looking to get one, there is a nice GR1225 repeater on ebay now, and is selling for a fair price, starting bid $260 +$40 shipping with 24 hours left, with duplexer, but you'd have to re program and re tune it for GMRS.

Baofeng UV-5R, 888S

#27 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 09:02 PM

my GR1225 is on the air!  all tuned and programmed up great.  I just had one hickup so far... I would like to describe my issue and see if there is anyone anyone who has ever programmed or used one before that might have some ideas.   In short, does anyone know why the Rx light blinks red and not steady green like the broshure?  

http://www.motorolas...-gr1225-01c.pdf

the reason i ask is because when i first plugged it in, it worked for a little while, and in the time i took me to program up my second radio, it stopped transmitting.   It would receive fine, but the controler would not re transmit.  Monitor would hear fine, and even the speaker mic was able to braodcast fine. The RX led would blink red on receive and the Tx would normally be steady red but it just stopped Txing and would only RX.   

I'm thinking the Red Blink on Rx might be an indication of a setting such as PL is active on Rx, or its in low power mode, etc. 

I'm using a PL on the in and a different one on the out, and its running in low mode and my SWR meter shows 10 watts out and almost zero watts reflected.  I thought maybe the repeater somehow decided it was not safe to transmit?  I didn't change anything else, using the same radio,etc.

When i turned it off and back on, it still had the same problem, just the RX would blink red and the TX would not light, no output.  But again, i would hear the PL decoded audio on "mon" setting.   I tired to key up with no PL and there was nothing coming through the monitor, so i know the PL was correct. 

After unplugging it overnight last night and trying it again today, it has been working great.  Today i did some range testing with it and all seemed to work as it should.

I don't think its heat related because it was only running for 20 min before it stopped working. 

Any ideas?  

Baofeng UV-5R, 888S

#28 zap

zap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 10:51 AM

Generally a red blinky light means channel busy (RX). If an amber light is on, generally means busy channel (different PL or microphone is off the hook). 

#29 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 12:32 PM

okay, yeah, red blinking when i key up, that sounds right.  The brochure has it green, and with the hiccup i had where it wasn't repeating, i was wondering if the blinking red was something more than just traffic, maybe something wrong.    Had it working more on sunday all day, no problems.

my experience so far with it...  vs what i was using... with the SWR in-line, and my not so great coax rg8x 65ft, adapters, and ed fong jpole antenna, my receive range on this compared to straight into my kenwood tk880 is a lot less.   I believe the meter and duplexer each have at least 1 or 1.5 db of loss on the receive, so i was unable to hit my repeater from  the edge where i normally can at least get a signal back home.  this just goes to show how important the line is and everything it goes through.   I hope to get an adapter in soon and connect it straight out of the duplexer with N to the antenna cable on so239.    Next step once spring is here, is new shorter LMR400 line with a new high gain antenna.  I can "hear" the repeater fine a mile away, but it has a lot of trouble hearing me on my HT.  I'm not making it in from 1.0 miles over the hillls, but i was able to hear the HT over the noise when connected directly to the kenwood mobile.  

My terrain is really more challenging than you may think.   When i look out the window of my house, in the direction i want to cover, there are houses along the ridge going up.  I have to tip my head down and look up to see the top house.   I am literally broadcasting inside a shadow area to everyone else.   I'm realizing that my terrain is my most limiting factor, in terms of receiving the HT from over the hilltop.

Baofeng UV-5R, 888S

#30 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 12:05 AM

Are there any owners of the GR1225 out there who can tell me if i should be using CPS or RSS?  I have CPS r06.04.00 but it wont read using the usb rib adapter.  i have run the CPS before for my HTs.

Baofeng UV-5R, 888S

#31 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 12:11 AM

a little more looking around, i found out i need to run it on Win95, not XP like i had been doing for the HTs.  I have to go back even further..  wow.  :mellow:

Baofeng UV-5R, 888S

#32 FrankNY

FrankNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY
  • GMRS Callsign:WQPP614

Posted 01 March 2015 - 12:36 AM

Steve, you may not need an actual Windows 95 system in order to run this particular program. Give the Windows 95 Compatibility mode option in Windows XP a try first.

How to use Windows Program Compatibility mode in Windows XP
http://support.micro....com/kb/292533/

Regards and good luck!

Frank.

#33 zap

zap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 12:36 AM

a little more looking around, i found out i need to run it on Win95, not XP like i had been doing for the HTs.  I have to go back even further..  wow.  :mellow:

There's an RSS version made for DOS, one made for 95, one for 98 and one for XP. RSS 3.1 is the commonly available one and was written for 98 but it should run just fine on a 7 computer (I never had an issue with it at least). RSS 4 is the harder to track down version that was written specifically for XP.

CPS 6.04 is the commonly available CPS for the Profesional series radios (HT750/1250, etc).

#34 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:42 AM

i got it working!  i found a Win95 VM for vmware and loaded that, put software ver3.1 on there, linked up the virt com port to the real com port on my win7 laptop, connected the usb-rib from ebay adapter cable, and yes! it worked.  i was able to go in an change the hang time.  :)

too bad you can't change the delay  between carrier loss and roger beep.  i would love an extra 100 or 200 ms so i can hear it on the HT.   hangtime is an extra second long.... there was course and fine power adjustment in there too... the model info says its the 45 watt ver but on low its only putting out 15 watts according to my SWR meter.  i'll test that out more before i touch that because those adjustments looked right, the high was all the way up and the low was pretty low..... not much room to move them. 

i found this, and loaded it into a free trial of vmware workstation:

https://winworldpc.c...E5-7054D21A8599

ran this all on my win7 64 bit machine and used the $10 cable from ebay and it worked!  not sure if this mattered, but on both the host and the VM i set the com ports the same and set them to 1200 baud, away from the default that was 9600.  not sure if that matters but i did that.

Baofeng UV-5R, 888S

#35 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:43 AM

There's an RSS version made for DOS, one made for 95, one for 98 and one for XP. RSS 3.1 is the commonly available one and was written for 98 but it should run just fine on a 7 computer (I never had an issue with it at least). RSS 4 is the harder to track down version that was written specifically for XP.

CPS 6.04 is the commonly available CPS for the Profesional series radios (HT750/1250, etc).

thanks, i tried all that, compat mode, etc.  even ran it on xp 32bit hardware,  etc.  tried ver 3.1 only.  i looked for ver 4.0 but after downloading it, it was still just 3.1 inside the zip file. 

Baofeng UV-5R, 888S

#36 zap

zap

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 02:14 AM

thanks, i tried all that, compat mode, etc. even ran it on xp 32bit hardware, etc. tried ver 3.1 only. i looked for ver 4.0 but after downloading it, it was still just 3.1 inside the zip file.

Only place I've found the real version 4 is on the p25.ca forums under legacy radios. They were referring to the P1225 but the RSS covers the whole 1225 family.

#37 FrankNY

FrankNY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY
  • GMRS Callsign:WQPP614

Posted 01 March 2015 - 02:27 AM

Steve, I'm pleased to hear that you got it working. Wonder why Win95 compatibility mode in XP didn't work though.

#38 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 03:04 AM

new issues with my GR1225 ...maybe someone can help....  as i mentioned in an earlier post, the repeater wouldn't repeat, out of the blue, just stopped, then started repeating again the next day.... I was hoping it was just a one time thing, but it kept doing this at random times during the day.... so i edited a video together showing the issue.... its about 4 and a half minutes and about 2 and a half minutes in you can see it just start working after a power cycle.. when the first 3 power cycles didn't have any affect....  i also point out the issue with the monitor enable button not working and a buzz coming from the speaker during idle, as if the audio amp circuit is enabled.  usually this is the sound you'd hear when the audio is enabled and sound coming out, not during idle time.   Normally during idle the speaker is muted and you hear nothing.   it sounds almost like loose connection or bad ground.  my thought is maybe a cold solder joint somewhere... i'm not sure.   Please take a look and let me know if anyone has any ideas on what it might be and how i might be able to fix it.....

http://youtu.be/R4xrJwq8g50

Baofeng UV-5R, 888S

#39 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 11:42 AM

update:

i spoke with the guy i bought it from, he thinks its the power supply and is going to send me a new one and help me fix it.

also, for the record, the "monitor" issue is not an issue... that is a feature that i didn't understand until he pointed it out.  I feel pretty stupid that i didn't realize this but the monitor will monitor all traffice on that ch without and pl tone fliter.   so when you were hearing the audio even though the monitor was not enabled, that was in fact correct.   it should be playing the audio becuase its the proper pl tone audio.  the only issue is it will sometimes not transmit, and again, we think its a faulty power supply.

Baofeng UV-5R, 888S

#40 mainehazmt

mainehazmt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQNI 696
  • Ham Callsign:KC1DRW

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:28 AM

Can we expand on this?  Im pretty sure in gmrs its kinda a not type accepted  but with theory in mind :)    I have bought an MSR2000 that i was contemplating on putting on the air   it is a c74gsb3106bt.  but   it was in the thinking stage... as it would take all the re cyristaling (sp) alignment ect...lowering the power out   and on and on.. also in my mind am looking to go ham too...  but  the pa deck in that could be powered by a gm300?  or lets say an r100  thus giving a full duty cycle radio?  am I understanding this correct?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users