ImTheGuy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationLouisiana
  • GMRS Callsign:WQTM859

Posted 21 March 2014 - 09:15 PM

Greetings Forum,

I am contemplating purchasing the Motorola GR1225 UHF Repeater as my very first GMRS repeater. I want to purchase this to provide my subdivision with better quality GMRS communication abilities, while at the same time, learning about repeaters and antennas.

Does anyone have any current or past experience with this repeater? What is your opinion of this repeater for a beginner? Thanks in advance for your comments.

Attached Files

#2 quarterwave

quarterwave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationOh-io
  • GMRS Callsign:On-File

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:01 PM

Those are good small repeaters.

#3 JohnE

JohnE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • Locationthe Empire State

Posted 23 March 2014 - 07:48 PM

good little machines.

just a point of information though Motorola is no longer supporting the replacement parts for that radio  just an FYI

Powered by Kenwood, Motorola, EF Johnson,Cresend  Milcom and Henry

#4 ImTheGuy

ImTheGuy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 23 March 2014 - 08:20 PM

good little machines.

just a point of information though Motorola is no longer supporting the replacement parts for that radio  just an FYI

Oh, okay. That is good information. I'd hate to make a fumble with it, in my learning, only to find I couldn't fix it. Thanks.

#5 ImTheGuy

ImTheGuy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationLouisiana

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:55 PM

WOW! I just learned that even though you may get a good deal on a Motorola radio or repeater, it may not be a really good deal. $300 for the software to program these things! That's at least two times more than what you can get the radios for! WOW! I guess ICOM has spoiled me.

That's a shame. I really like the Motorola product. What a lesson.

#6 quarterwave

quarterwave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationOh-io

Posted 26 March 2014 - 01:52 PM

A radio shop won't charge a fortune to program it for you. 

#7 PastorGary

PastorGary

Senior Tropical Weather Analyst, TSRC, Gulf Shores, Alabama

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1457 posts
  • LocationMultiple locations in USA seasonally.

Posted 27 March 2014 - 09:29 AM

From personal experience in my primary area, once a piece of Motorola equipment no longer has factory support, the local dealers will not even do programming.  Sounds like Motorola is taking a lesson from Microsoft with planned obsolescence to sell new products where profits are substantial, while thumbing their nose at customers who won't play their games.  :angry:    The local Kenwood dealer's business expands every year because they add old Motorola customers to their client list.

• rhinegarten likes this

#8 JohnE

JohnE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 01:41 PM

when I bought my Kenwoods my boss asked why not Motorola's, simple answer is they don't do what I need them to do.

Powered by Kenwood, Motorola, EF Johnson,Cresend  Milcom and Henry

#9 quarterwave

quarterwave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationOh-io

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:15 PM

From personal experience in my primary area, once a piece of Motorola equipment no longer has factory support, the local dealers will not even do programming.  Sounds like Motorola is taking a lesson from Microsoft with planned obsolescence to sell new products where profits are substantial, while thumbing their nose at customers who won't play their games.  :angry:    The local Kenwood dealer's business expands every year because they add old Motorola customers to their client list.

I agree, they have played that game forever. Everyone's mileage will vary, usually you can find a shop that will still do them, since the shops are not owned by M. If not, there is always some good ol' boy that has a copy of the s/w he downloaded from a foreign website. LOL. 

#10 tinman212

tinman212

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Ham Callsign:W2ERD

Posted 31 March 2014 - 08:12 AM

Former GMRS WQGK720,Ham W2ERD. My GMRS repeater was and still is a Motorola Desktrac UHF, the nice thing about these repeaters is that they have thier own power supply and fan and in my case it run 24/7. They can be purchased off Ebay for about $350 to $500  and if you know a Ham operator he may have the software to program it . You can use a mobile duplexer which you can be purchase from China for about $50 or less , they even will tune it to your, or you can us two UHF antennas  one TX and the other for RX. With any radio system you need a good UHF antenna,and a short run of LMR-400 coax with N-connectors if possible and you need to get in up high. My system when it was on line would cover about 25 or more miles at 28 watts . When it come time to renew my GMRS licenses it would have cost me $200 and because my repeater got very little use I let go.

Because of the narrow banding a lot of good Motorola radios are up for sale. I have four 900Mhz repeaters running 24/7 now all using Motorola radios.

If you need programming and are willing tp pay the postage both ways I can help you.

Gene  tinman212@verizon.net

Just checked on the GMRS license renewal its $85 for five years..not $200, sorry..

#11 PastorGary

PastorGary

Senior Tropical Weather Analyst, TSRC, Gulf Shores, Alabama

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1457 posts
  • LocationMultiple locations in USA seasonally.

Posted 31 March 2014 - 02:15 PM

Gene - thanks for the info and welcome to the MyGMRS form...

PastorGary -

Weather postings Copyrighted © TSRC, All Rights Reserved

#12 quarterwave

quarterwave

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationOh-io

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:20 PM

Renewals are $200?

#13 tinman212

tinman212

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 07:49 AM

The last time I checked yes it was,maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong. My Ham licenses is good for life time...

#14 tinman212

tinman212

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:00 AM

If any one is looking for a good cheap GMRS HT check out the Baofeng Dual Frequency UV-5R on ebay for about $60, it will cover all the GMRS frequencies as well as the 5 MURS VHF open to the public.... I have 3 of them and they are outstanding buys for that money...and they program easy...

#15 tinman212

tinman212

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:45 AM

I stand corrected on the fee to renew the GMRS license, $85 for five years.. Back to the Baofeng UV-5R HT it also makes a great scanner..and it also receives FM radio....

#16 Tim

Tim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:ask
  • Ham Callsign:ask

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:58 PM

I can program most motorola equipment and most kenwood's

#17 gdavis316

gdavis316

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQRL495
  • Ham Callsign:N3DNR

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:00 PM

I've got two gr1225's in service.  the only problem ive ever had was a cold solder connection.  All of them do it a one time in their life.  it didnt cost much to fix, and the shop charged me 85 for programming and tuning diplexer.  The shop i use has a lot of these inservice as community repeaters.  mine work great, keep it around 25-33 watts.

#18 Jake313

Jake313

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationAppleton, WI
  • GMRS Callsign:PM Me
  • Ham Callsign:PM Me

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:10 AM

I have one of these in service now and I love it. From what I understand the low power setting is 25 watts and the high is 45 watts. If I wanted to dial the high down to 33 watts as mentioned in the previous post, that can be done through the RSS correct? I'm assuming I'll also need a watt meter for this as well. I might even only dial it down to 40 watts high since the repeater is not very active. 

Jake 

WQTA313

Appleton 625 Repeater

#19 Tim

Tim

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:ask
  • Ham Callsign:ask

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:05 PM

if you want the PA deck to last a long time keep it at 25 watts at this power level the repeater is 100% duty cycle at 45 watts it only 50% duty cycle we have one that had a bad PA and I put a 10 watt gm300 PA deck on it set it to 6 watts and put a 10 db Attenuator on it now has a 1/4 watt out driving a msr2000 PA set to 50 watts and it dont get hot only warm plus we have 2 cooliing fans on the PA deck the best thing to do with a 1225 repeater is set it to 10 watts and get a TPL amp that takes 10 watts to drive it and you'll never have to worry about the PA deck by the way I got the 1225 with bad PA for $5.00 one hell of a buy

#20 JohnE

JohnE

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:29 PM

this is the same way I run my 650.

have a Kenwood TKR850 running 3W into a Johnson 1010 PA that can do 110w/15in. the amp was rated 100% duty cycle at 100W and could be pushed to 125, never went beyond that though. as a side note if tuned properly will only pull 17A of current.

this set up will run all day & night as long as the power supply keeps up.