Can't connect to a repeater

jtparmley

I am trying to extend my range by connecting to a repeater in SW Ohio. 

Output:  462.675 MHz   Unlisted

Input:    467.675 MHz   141.3 Hz

See Attached

I am a rookie to GMRS, but am very technical in nature.  I am having some issues working with the repeater and I am sure it is configuration errors on my end.  I am hoping you can assist me.

I live in south Dayton, right where 675 and 75 meet. The northern part of the reach of the repeater. My radios are BTech GMRS V1's.  My config is as follows?
a) I have the radios set to dual watch mode. Menu 7 set to On
B) my top channel is GMRS20- 462.675 for receiving.  No CTCSS codes set
c) my bottom channel is set directly to 467.675 for transmitting.  I have tried both CTCSS transmit freqs of 123 and 141.3.

My radios work fine on any channel for about 1-2 miles in the neighborhood.  I was hoping that I could connect to the repeater to extend that range. (perhaps I don't know what can and can't be expected).  No signal is received on my second radio (cong the same) when using the bottom PPT.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

John
WRHX315

To use a repeater with the gmrs-v1 you don't set the rx & tx frequencies on seperate a&b channels. In your case you would set either channel a or b on rept20 which is channel 20 repeater it will then receive on 462.675 and transmit on 467.675 automatically. Then go to menu 12 (t-dcs) and turn on for 123 code, while on a repeater channel your 2 radios will not work in simplex (directly between each other) because they are transmitting and receiving on different channels. If you still cannot get onto the repeater then you are too far from the repeater to reach with your radio, OR the repeater has been modified/taken out of service and not updated in the database.

Thanks, I did not know that.  I will try that this evening!

When you say that "2 radios will not work in simplex (directly between each other) because they are transmitting and receiving on different channels", what that means is. the the transmit signal goes to the repeater, then the repeater re transmits it out on the other freg where the second radio picks it up......so on the surface it appears that they are connecting direct......is that correct?

John

Ironically enough I am in Mason OH trying to connect to the same repeater.  I tried to change the setting on menu 12 T-DCS and there is 123.  I am very certain I am doing something wrong, just no idea what.  I have all the same settings as above but no luck.

Thank for everyone help on this site.

Chris

post-3478-0-18541300-1596049475_thumb.png