Can't Find the Right Radio

Guest Jeff Ranck

Guest Jeff Ranck

I'm looking for a radio for my vehicle. I really like the form factor of the midland MXT 275 because the base unit can be hidden when mounted and all you need is an appropriate jack to make the microphone removable from the install. Makes for a great stealth install that has no mic showing when you want to hide it away. However, the forums are replete with posts warning that Midland radios (at least the current crop) are narrow band and won't necessarily work with all repeaters. So here's my question:

Anyone know of a GMRS radio that can be hidden mounted like the MXT275 or the UHF/VHF ham radios with the removable face plates that can operate in wideband mode? I can't find one and am beginning to believe they don't exist.

Jeff.

There probably isn’t any. I mean, you can find a number of commercial LMR radios with a remote head kit available, such as the TK-890 or TK-8180, but I don’t think that’s exactly what you’re looking for.

Honestly, if you want a Midland, get a Midland. I don’t really get the impression of split tones and/or non-standard or inverted DCS octals being the norm, and it’s going to work for most repeaters. Might leave you a little assed out if you were planning on moving to Denver, but the busiest repeater here is a private repeater a bunch of local hams use for rag chew, anyhow.

As for narrow band, it would be nice to be able to take advantage of 20 kHz transmission, but for just transmitting voice, it’s really not a big deal.

The Motorola XPR5550 & 5550"e" version both have a Handheld mic option with the capability to switch channels from the mic and use DTMF for control. You can remote the transceiver and run an extension cable for the mic. It's also got voice announcement, so you don't need to look at the large (color) display for 95% of normal functions. It's not a Part 95 radio though, it's Part 90 commercial, and will also work on DMR. A brand new unit will run you 3 to 4 times what a Midland would cost. Used units are more reasonable, especially for the older Non-e XPR550.

In fact, I've got one of the XPR5550 models with the advanced mic option that I previously used on GMRS. Color display, voice announcement, and only driven on Sundays. Guaranteed working. PM me if interested.

+10 on the XPR5550, regardless of the E or non-E model. Buy Once, Cry once. That will be the last GMRS radio you'll ever buy.

You can find used 5550e on eBay for quite a bargain, it just requires time and patience to search the site. 

RadioGuy: what do you mean the advanced mic option? Did you mean the one that has a display? or just the one with the keypad?, of which there are two of those, BTW. Which one you have? the one with just an OK button? or the one that has a 4-way arrow hat as part of the OK button?

G.

Without trying to go too far off track - what I've got (as an example for the OP) is the RMN5127A mic. It's got the 4 way navigation key - but no display. Those run @ $100+ (new) as an add-on option to the XPR mobile. You would probably also need an optional Mic cord extension to remote mount the radio under a seat & not need to stretch the std. mic cord, or just have a convenient place to plug/unplug the mic cord if you want a "hideaway" option.

What I've got looks like the attached photo:

post-1480-0-95513100-1601739566_thumb.png

There's another member on here - Cory, who has the HHC mic option for the XPR5550e.  

Nice, that is the one I have too. I really like it.

G.

Without trying to go too far off track - what I've got (as an example for the OP) is the RMN5127A mic. It's got the 4 way navigation key - but no display. Those run @ $100+ (new) as an add-on option to the XPR mobile. You would probably also need an optional Mic cord extension to remote mount the radio under a seat & not need to stretch the std. mic cord, or just have a convenient place to plug/unplug the mic cord if you want a "hideaway" option.

What I've got looks like the attached photo:

XPR5550 w advanced Mic.png

There's another member on here - Cory, who has the HHC mic option for the XPR5550e.