midland radios

rppricer

Question

I have midland radio like new had them in the car for about 2 months and now I am a ham person and stepped up to radios that I could program with the channel I would need so now I dont have a use for these radios. one has 40 watts but was showing around 55 to 60 watts the other is 15 watt and bout work great thet will come with antennas and ready to go. You can e mail me at rodprice@ymail.com and I will get back to you.

1 answer to this question

A couple of things for you.

If you have a new radio that is rated for 40 watts but measures 55 or 60 that is an indication of one of a couple of things. Either the radio is defective and has short life ahead or the manner in which the power was measured is in question. If power is measured using an inline meter with an attached antenna as the load then the SWR of the antenna system will cause the meter to read artificially high. When measuring power you must use a purely resistive load to have any chance of getting an accurate transmitter power output measurement. Case by example. If I measure the power out of my 5w HT into a poor rubber duck, the meter may read upwards of 8.5w because the antenna has a very high SWR value. If I replace the antenna with a proper resistive load that same meter suddenly reflects power nearly as specified by the manufacturer. If I replace the dummy load again now with a premium antenna the meter will show an slightly elevated power reading and closer to the manufactures number, but it will still be high because the SWR is not a true 1:1. As a new ham these are some things you will learn along your journey. Welcome to amateur radio BTW.

Now, with regards to your comment about being a new ham, selling your GMRS equipment and (here I am assuming) presumably using your new amateur rig for GMRS also. If that is not your intent, I apologize in advance. If that is your intent, let me be the first to say that I know of no amateur rig that is legal for transmit on GMRS (except in life and death emergency) and no GMRS rig that is legal for transmit on amateur frequencies. While we all know there is a ton of equipment out there that does it, I interpret doing so as a violation of amateur and GMRS license I have.

I am like many responsible individuals that wish we could legally operate in both services using the same physical radio. Having recently read a 2017 FCC document cover to cover I appreciate more why many FCC decisions have been made and will respect them. I don’t know about you, but I appreciate and respect my licenses. I aim to keep them.

I wish you the best on your radio journey.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

I have midland radio like new had them in the car for about 2 months and now I am a ham person and stepped up to radios that I could program with the channel I would need so now I dont have a use for these radios. one has 40 watts but was showing around 55 to 60 watts the other is 15 watt and bout work great thet will come with antennas and ready to go. You can e mail me at rodprice@ymail.com and I will get back to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk