Cross band repeater?

WQTK732

I believe the answer is "no". The station broadcasting would need both licenses. GMRS and Ham can relay, but I do not think they allow for cross band repeat between the two. Now, you could use cross band for something like MURS and GMRS as long as the repeater operator has a GMRS license and the MURS side did not transmit at more than 0.5 watts.

In the United States, the Multi-Use Radio Service (MURS) is an unlicensed two-way radio service similar to Citizens Band (CB). Established by the U.S. Federal Communications Commission in the fall of 2000, MURS created a radio service allowing for unlicensed (Part 95) operation, with a power limit of 2 watts. The FCC formally defines MURS as "a private, two-way, short-distance voice or data communications service for personal or business activities of the general public." MURS stations may not be connected to the public telephone network, may not be used for store and forward operations, and radio repeaters are not permitted.

Industry Canada (IC) established a five year transition plan, which will permit the use of MURS in Canada starting June 2014.[1] IC has not yet published rules for MURS, other than frequency limits.

Another thing to consider is that using the output of one GMRS repeater to activate the input of another GMRS repeater is not allowed under current regulations. Repeater input and output frequency availability is regulated and there is a 5 mhz offset between the 467 mhz repeater input channels and their corresponding 462 mhz repeater output channels.  To have one GMRS repeater activate another repeater by RF signals alone, would require that one repeater operate in reverse mode. That is not allowed.

Channel paring is covered in 47CFR95.29 [a] and and specifically says:

{a.} For a base station, fixed station, mobile station, or repeater station (a GMRS station that simultaneously retransmits the transmission of another GMRS station on a different channel or channels), the licensee of the GMRS system must select the transmitting channels or channel pairs (see §95.7(a) of this part) for the stations in the GMRS system from the following 462 MHz channels:

462.5500, 462.5750, 462.6000, 462.6250, 462.6500, 462.6750, 462.7000 and 462.7250.

{ b.} For a mobile station, control station, or fixed station operated in the duplex mode, the following 467 MHz channels must be used only to transmit communications through a repeater station and for remotely controlling a repeater station. The licensee of the GMRS system must select the transmitting channels or channel pairs (see §95.7(a) of this part) for the stations operated in the duplex mode, from the following 467 MHz channels:

467.5500, 467.5750, 467.6000, 467.6250, 467.6500, 467.6750, 467.7000 and 467.7250.

Hope that helps if this was being considered as well.

Guest spd641

How are you going to crossband 2 UHF frequencies.You have to be using to different bands to crossband.If you do as you are talking about it is in band repeat GMRS to GMRS and it would be the same as having a regular repeater unless you use simplex repeat which may be what you are thinking about.I am not sure what you have configured so please let us know...William

Guest spd641

What am saying I'm gonna do is use a simplex gmrs freq to my repeater kind of deal.....

Why not save all the trouble and just build a regular GMRS repeater,the way you are describing what you want to do it sounds like that would be the answer.I do not think what you have planned is with in the rules of GMRS...William